2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

'custom dictionary not available' (2000)

When I add a customary dictionary, I'm getting the following message: "The custom dictionary d:EditScriptEditScriptClientMainescription.dic is not available". But it IS available as far as I can tell. It's certainly there. Any ideas what's going on?

BTW: I had recently removed a whole bunch of test dictionaries from my dictionary list.

Thanks....

Dan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'custom dictionary not available' (2000)

Hi Phil. I've got another custom dictionary in the same place, and I'm able to add that one and use it. The "add..." button does seem to allow you to browse to non-default directories to load a dictionary. I'm inclined to think something else is going on. I'm wondering if there's some kind of size issue here: both custom dictionaries are pretty large (over 50000 entries) and well over the maximum size specifed in the MSDN; however, that hasn't seemed to stop one dictionary from working fine. In addition, when I arbitrarily chop the non-working dictionary in half, that doesn't seem to get rid of the error message.

Regards,

Dan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dan:
    I haven't fully checked this lately, but I was under the impression that you have to have the custom dictionaries in the right place to be shared. Usually, C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedProof. It seems that you can only use 1 custom dictionary at a time in office applications other than Word.

If, under Tools/Options/Spelling tab/Dictionaries..., you can't see it, it's in the wrong place.
    Cheers,

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dan:
    Does the new dictionary have the same name as a deleted one? I wonder if Word somehow thinks that the dictionary has been deleted. If you create it with a brand new name, will it recognize it?

Without changing anything, could you look at

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftShared ToolsProofing ToolsCustom Dictionaries

& see if your custom dictionaries are listed there?

You can get to that registry key by going to Start/Run & typing
    regedit
    then <enter>. Then navigate to that key.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

I think I just figured it out. The guy who's generating the dictionary started putting "comments" into some of the entries. For example:

Advair # ... Diskus

The "# ... Diskus" construct seems to confuse Word. Once I took out all instances of the comments, the error messages went away. It would have been nice, of course, if Word had given me a more meaningful error message--but why should it start now? [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks once again for your help.

Dan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for posting the solution. Glad you got it figured out.