2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Number of unread emails does not match waht is in (2000)

For about a week I have been receiving emails that appear as unread items in my inbox. However there are no corresponding unread emails in the inbox folder. Also read mail that I have got seems to be disappearing. Also it seems that I can receive files with attachments but cannot receive emails with no attachments. HAave run the Office repair which Microsoft advised but problem is still there. I don't have any filtering or rules on which would delte or move the emails to another folder.
    Could this be virus like behaviour?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Number of unread emails does not match wat is in (2000)

Your subject was truncated. What exactly doesn't the unread message count match? Some possibilities follow.

First check your View setting to see if the View shows only unread mail, or you have another View which doesn't show all your mail. Next, do you have a large number of messages? Depending on your settings the maximum is 16k or 64k messages per folder.

If these suggestions don't help, post back, and note if you are running Outlook in IMO or CW mode, and your SR.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry about truncation - did not notice. The inbox in the folder list might display 10 unread messages, however, there will be one or no unread messages in the inbox folder in the right hand pane. I will check settings you mention on my home PC tonight, however, I doubt if I have any filters of special views set up as the installation is a default one. Will check size of folder to. What is IMO or CW mode?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

IMO = Internet Mode Only
    CW = Corporate or Workgroup

Help, About, will tell you which mode you are in, since you note it's a home PC, IMO is more likely.

One other simple possibility, could you have clicked on one of the Title Bars in the Message Window, and sorted the messages in a way such that not all unread messages are visible? Clicking once on the Title bars changes the sort order.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You were right. Someone had sorted them in attachment order. Carbon based error of course.