2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printer Configuration Registry Settings

Does anyone know where in the registry that printer hardware configuration is saved?

I
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printer Configuration Registry Settings

I've recently been playing with LPR port Ethernet-connected HP laser printers and deskjet printers at work, in the area of
    HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Print/Printers
    specifically to do with the removal of rubbish printer (and sometimes print server) names from the subkey
    back-a-level/Providers/LanMan Print Services/servers/<servername>/<printername>
    but what is at home on my XP Pro box (USB-attached laserjet and deskjet) doesn't of course match what's at work on NT4 workstations and servers.

There was one very large binary hex value whose name had something with the word Data in it (could it be DeviceData? Default Devmode? must look tomorrow...), where I suspect the device data is held, but I doubt you could interpret it because of its complex binary nature. and the fact that it can be 1 KB - 2 KB in size!!!

You're right about printer data in the registry being un oreille du cochon...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

In Windows 2000, I did find a binary key that corresponded to HP printer settings, but I couldn't find any documentation on how to read data out of it (which was my purpose in looking for it). I don't remember where it is, but it could be under the "Services" area.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Steve--

As much of the time, I can find keys where they might be, but get fuzzy as to which values for some of the subkeys.

The HKCUPrinters defines the user's printer connections. There are 3 subkeys as you probably have seen:

*Connections--name of the key defines the subkey for each printer connection. [/i]Server, printer[/i] The values in this subkey define the printer and server.

*DevModelPerUser This subkey contains per-user printer settings.

*Settings--this subkey contains settings for Add Printer Wizard including the user's preference for the last time they added a printer.

Also for adding a printer:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionPolicies
    Explorer
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionPolicies
    Explorer

Also see:

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Key: SOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows NTPrinters

which can be used to Disable Internet Printing and may have some values helpful.

Also I found

HKLM/Sofware/Policies/Resplendence Sp/Registrar Lite/Bookmarks/Bookmarks/Regular
    The Value is HKCU/Printers

SMBP