4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting Duplicates (2000)

Hi,
    I used the Find Duplicates query to find my duplicates, but when I try to delete the dups from that query, it says their read-only. Once I find my dups, what's an easy way I can delete them all. There about 500.
    Thanks,
    Deb

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deleting Duplicates (2000)

On occasion, I have modified something like the FindDuplicates query to create a new table with the keyfields of the duplicate entries. The important point here is that it actually creates a new (temporary) table. Then create a new query that deletes the selected records from the original query. Something like

DELETE * from tblOriginal where keyfield in (SELECT keyfield FROM tmpNewlyCreatedTable)

The important point here is the "... IN..." syntax which selects only the records whose keyfield is already in the temporary table. Obviously you must control the contents of the temporary table so that it leaves the first record of any duplicate pair and selects ONLY the duplicate records. The nice thing about making the temporary table is that you can genuinely see which records will be affected.

Hope this helps.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'll give that a try, but it just seems like too much work. They give you a query to find your dups but not a fairly easy way to delete them? geesh.

Thanks,
    Deb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you build the find duplicates query against a table or against a query? If you built it on a table, the query should allow you to delete records, although you wouldn't want to delete all of them, of course. Why don't you post the SQL of the find duplicates query. Then someone may be able to tell you why it is read-only.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I built it against a query so that's why it's read only. Thanks.

Deb