New Lounger
    Thanks

Text box in Word (XP)

How can I make a box in Word that has fixed dimensions into which people can type text. I want to limit users to a fixed area into which they can type and if possible a fixed font and font size. I want to protect the rest of the document against changes.

Terry Irwin

Thanks

Re: Text box in Word (XP)

Three things come to mind, but I've never tried them for what you describe:
    1. <LI>A Form Field. Pop up the Forms Toolbar and experiment. There also are ActiveX widgets you can insert into a document from the Controls toolbox, but I know even less about those.

<LI>A one-cell table. You can lock down the dimensions and set the starting style, but the user might be able to override this as the table would have to be in an unprotected section of the document.

<LI>A TextBox. Word's textboxes float around above the document anchored to a particular point. I don't use them enough to know how firmly they can be locked down, if at all.
    Good luck!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Text box in Word (XP)

Hi Terry:
    I don't know of a way to do what you want with a text box. If you want to prevent people from modifying certain parts of the document, that's what forms are for. You can also specify the font & font size. There are two ways to do this, neither perfect:
    1. Create a 1 cell table & set the row to an exact measurement, like .2"/per line. Put a text formfield inside it & then protect the document. You'll have to experiment with the size of the row. However, this won't stop people from typing into the formfield. It's just that the row size is fixed & so you won't see the rest of the text. Because the document is protected for forms, they can't edit other parts of the document.

2. Insert a formfield & then double click it to get it's properties. Set the number of characters to a maximum & then protect the document. The trouble with this is estimating the number of characters that will fit on a line.

You could also combine these two methods so that in #1, a user is at least limited as to how much "invisible" text they can type.
    Hope this helps,