New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 97 linked document (97)

Hi
    I'm trying to link a letterhead file to a number of Word Templates through an absolute network reference. When I open a file based on the template, the letterhead appears correctly. When I save the file to a different location and reopen, the absolute reference is gone, and only the filename reference remains, with "invalid link" error. This happens whether or not I identify the target absolutely or through a drive share designation. As there are 80 templates involved, it would be useful to be able to make one change when a lawyer leaves, rather than 80+. Thanks George Meanwell

Thanks

Re: Word 97 linked document (97)

There have been threads on the issue of when Word uses relative and when it uses absolute links. Relative links are more likely when the linked item is in the same folder as the linking item. To work around this, you might need to move the linked item OUT of the templates folder to a parallel folder. But someone with direct experience will, hopefully, be able to lay out all your options.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This issue was discussed in a recent thread & Macropod posted an add-in that will update the fields. See the thread surrounding <post#=261488>post 261488</post#>.

Addendum: Come to think of it, couldn't you use an AutoNew macro that converted the linked field to text (Ctrl+Shift+F9) as soon as the letter is created. I assume that an "old" letter will continue to use the "old" letterhead, since you want it to reflect the state of affairs at the time the letter was created. Then your 80 templates could be updated by having an INCLUDETEXT field to one file.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Having read these postings, and the related postings from last May, I am grateful to all concerned. However, none of the posts seems to address the idea of an absolute address, and why an absolute address would be lost when a document is created from a template. I understand the problems with relative addressing. Am I retroactively projecting the HTML distinction of relative and absolute onto an earlier iteration of the idea? After all, a local HTML link pointing to C:documentsdocument.doc will always work no matter where the calling document is located or moved to...

George Meanwell

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi George,

Fields like INCLUDETEXT and INCLUDEPICTURE only use absolute addressing, though some of the others (eg HYPERLINK) can also use relative addressing. If, when creating your template, your INCLUDETEXT/INCLUDEPICTURE field lacked a path, Word nevertheless interprets this as an absolute address to the folder in which you were working when the link was created, and requires both the source and the target to remain in that folder in order for the references to be resolved. You can see this behaviour if you insert an INCLUDEPICTURE field without a path, save the file and then move both it and the picture to a new folder. If you then open the document, the INCLUDEPICTURE field will be unresolved. I think this even happens if you move just the document and leave the picture in its original location.

AFAIK, when you create a document from a template, it's path is set to the same as you TEMP environment until such time as it is saved. Invariably, this will be different from the path to the folder in which the template was created, and Word won't be able to resolve the reference. This may reamin true even if the file is saved back to the same folder that the referenced file was in. If you did fully specify the source file's address when creating the template, that address should be retained when the template is used for a new document.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]