2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2K Setup/Changeover (Outlook 2K SR1)

Hi,

I have recently finished up with my company and now have my same laptop at home. I have setup a new profile to operate under and now have most things including Internet Explorer and internet access working OK except for Outlook.

Previously I used Outlook on the LAN at work, and when at home I used Outlook offline - no problems. I expected I would be able to access my offline mail file and proceed normally.

Now I want to setup Outlook to access my email through my broadband cable supplier via my USB (as per the internet), and am having problems. Firstly my Outlook was installed as corporate and seems to be looking for files on a server. I have setup the details in the Control Panel / Mail area as specified, but there is nothing in the Addressing tab under "Deliver new mail to the following location" and I cannot enter a folder or file details there.

When I run Outlook I get the following message, "Unable to open your default email folders. Outlook could not start because a location to send and receive email could not be found. To add a location, such as a personal folder file, double click the Mail icon in the Wondows Control Panel." - Following this message there certainly seems to be no facility to add a location.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Peter Moran
    Two heads are always better than one!!

Thanks

Re: Outlook 2K Setup/Changeover (Outlook 2K SR1)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 10-Sep-03 21:29. Correction.)</P>Take Two: I think I misinterpreted your post. You have a computer that previously was set up for Exchange/OST and now that you are disconnected, you need to create a PST to access your ISP mail. You don't have to stay in Corporate Workgroup mode, but it's easiest to create the PST first and then change that, if you like, from inside Outlook.

First, if you are accessing an Exchange mailbox back at the office, then a Corporate/Workgroup setup probably is correct.

Second, it is typical to add a set of Personal Folders (*.PST) to receive mail. However, Exchange Server also works with offline folders (*.OST) so your setup might be different than mine. When you open the Mail control panel, what are your options? You should get a list of the services in your profile. Click Add... to create a set of Personal Folders. Does this correspond to your setup?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Assuming you have PST on your laptop (see Jefferson's post) and you are in CW mode, you need to Add your ISP as service under Tools, Services, Internet E-Mail. Unfortunately I only know DUN and Exchange, so I'm limited as to specific advice about cable connection, but your ISP should be able to provide the settings. When you get that setup working, remove your old corporate service (Exchange or whatever) under Tools, Services.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson,

Thanks for your reply.

Let me clarify. Finished employment with company where I had the normal Corporate LAN setup for Outlook, and also had Offline data as I could look at existing (not new) emails when at home. No further need to access work and now no longer available, but now I want to access my own email account (not a company one) via my broadband access to the internet preferably using Outlook rather than Outlook Express.

I have a new profile and because my Outlook is a corporate version, I strongly suspect this needs to be changed to an Internet Mail Only version. It appears this needs to be done first, as I need to go to Tools, Options, Reconfigure Mail Support, and I can't get into Tools, Options to select the required change.

When I open my Control Panel, Mail window I only see "Internet E-mail Big Pond" my internet/broadband supplier. To this I have just now added "Personal Folders" via the Add Services button, and I was able to specify a *.pst file which was archive.pst, but at least I now have internet email, and my current email has been picked up - hooray!!

I just need to sort out now where my offline mail has been kept. Also I guess I can now "Reconfigure Mail Support" - if I still need to!

Things are looking up!

Regards,

Peter Moran

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Thanks for the input - will keep your point under review depending on how things evolve.

Regards,

Peter Moran