New Lounger
    Thanks

Bizarre incomplete cell shading (Word 2000)

I have Word 2000
    I have done everything to rectify this problem short of sprinkling holy water on my hard drive [ I have worked with Word for 13 years so I have a little experience]
    This is the problem.
    I am making drug reference cards that have 2 columns and multiple rows. I am attempting to use a color shade for alternate rows. This shading should span both columns on the row selected. The shading stops short of the center, vertical column divider leaving a large white vertical gap!!!
    I have opened new documents and pasted the table [ with several hundred drug names ] I have looked at table properties and changed distance from text , measurements to '0' ,I have made sure I am selecting 'cell' in shading option [ altho I have experimented with every other option ad infinitum] . I have changed styles, scrutinized document templates, looked at paragraph formatting, changed fonts and stripped the original tables down to plain text, laboriously and manually reconstructed tables and reinserted the text. All with the same printed results as outlined above.On screen the rows look fine.Strangely I can create a table at the end of another document which has the alternate colored row format and it works fine. If I paste any of the already created drug tables into it tho it acts as above with the strange white area. Please Help. I am ready to rip my hair out.
    Thank You very Much
    Nurscan

Thanks

Re: Bizarre incomplete cell shading (Word 2000)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 10-Sep-03 22:36. Nicer picture. At least I think so.)</P>I believe this can happen if the shading is applied to the paragraph instead of the cell.

I should add, if you set the Table>Properties>Options...>Default Cell Margins>Left = 0 and Right = 0, the paragraphs should become coextensive with the cells, unless the paragraphs have been formatted with an indent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Re: Bizarre incomplete cell shading (Word 2000)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 10-Sep-03 23:02. Added a picture...)</P>I read your post more closely and realized that the screen looks fine and the printout has the problem. I can create this problem by setting "Allow spacing between cells" to any non-zero value in Table Properties. The gridlines on the screen become thicker and on the printout there is a pixel or two white gap. If you do not see this in the Table Options dialog, it is possible you have nested your whole table inside another table and therefore cannot access its true properties. To try to fix this, if you suspect it to be the case, select the table (make sure the outermost row end markers are selected) and choose Table>Convert table to text... and look for an enabled "convert nested tables" checkbox. If it is enabled, uncheck it and convert. If there is an outer table, this should peel it off.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images