2 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Virtual Memory Low (XP 5.1)

After getting my laptop serviced I noticed that my Hard-Drive (HD) seemed to be humming a lot more. Now I dont know if the service was related (graphics card came loose), but here are my symptoms:

Computer COnfiguration:
    P4 Laptop, 512 M RAM, Addtional monitor attached (running two screens).
    HD is only half full (or half empty...depending which way you look at it).
    Normally operating number of applications (Outlook, Word and Excell)

Symptoms:
    everythings starts running slowly.
    Frustrating pauses in operations as screens seem to be going through a refresh.
    Virtual Memory Low message pops up.

Things I have tried:
    Increasing the size of the paging file (manual set)
    Monitoring the task manager - I have noticed that i have two FASTFIND.EXE's operating and they consume the higher level of the memory (screen dumps attached).

Has anyone got any any ideas? Why are two FASTFIND.EXEs operating? DO I have to defrag the HD or similar?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Virtual Memory Low (XP 5.1)

Other Screen Dump

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The picture shows that you are running out of pagefile - which would give the error message "Virtual memory low".

Try Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change
    What are the Minimum and Maximum settings for size of your pagefile (on each drive if you have more than one)

StuartR

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Cluade,
    Dis-able Findfast. It is a know trouble maker.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SOrry about the silly question....how do you disable FASTFIND? I have searched Word Help and XP Help.

Thanks

I think it might also be known as the Indexing Service in XP. Not sure.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I recently posted with the same problem symptoms. The problem turned out to be with the screensaver. Did the technician change your screensaver, maybe to test the graphics card? Are your problems occurring at the same time a screensaver might be kicking in? I know this is a shot in the dark, but after my experience, still worth a mention. Good Luck. ..... J. Till

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This addresses your question about the indexing service:

1. Bring up the Properties of the hard disk (eg run Windows Explorer and right click on the drive letter).
    2. Look for the box labelled "Allow Indexing Service on this disk for fast file searching"
    3. Uncheck it.
    4. Click on OK or Apply
    5. Expect to see another window asking if you want to apply this setting to all sub-folders. Click on Yes. You may have to wait longer for this to complete than you had expected.

I have no idea if FASTFIND will still be invoked at boot-up time, but it certainly won't have so much work to do!

Now let me offer a suggestion for your original problem which is probably not relevant. I re-installed Windows on my laptop and I was inundated by slow screen refreshes every time I scrolled down. This was immediately and completely solved by installing the correct driver for my screen.

I hope some of this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

You can change your themes in properties to windows classics and go into msconfig from the start, run, menu and uncheck all of programs that you don't need running in the background of your computer and that should free up a lot of ram and if you have XP plus, uninstall it

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Claude--

Reason Joe says Indexing in XP--analagous to Find Fast in Office except that in XP or in the Windows 2000 and XP OS's it runs continuously is because it can be a huge RAM hog and can make a computer perpetually noisy. It's supposed to continuously update files so you can quickly search, but it's completely unnecessary with a considerable downside. It creates a continuous database of files on your system, but it's completely unnecessary given Windows XP Search's intrinsic incompetence.

This is a little writeup from Tech TV to context why Joe said indexing service causes problems--it slows you down and unless you use Search very extensively-- and I'm talking about Search in the Windows XP system--you don't need it--it can slow you significantly or turning it off can speed things up:

Windows Tip: Disable Indexing

Further,

1) Search is one of the more problematic aspects of Windows XP--tons of sites dedicated to why search is less than mediocre. It misses things too often--no matter how it's configured.

2) If you set up your files with Show in Groups you would need to use it very seldom anyway. I believe this simple feature in Windows XP can greatly reduce your need to use Search: Show in Groups XP: Great Feature to Use

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The msconfig audit is always fine advice, but I have XP plus just to see what it did--not much but may appeal to kids in middle school--and Digital Media Edition and didn't have any CPU slurp problems with them.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

If you change the theme in XP to classic that alone will give you 40 to 60 mb of memory. Xp is a serios resource hog. There are a million little tricks you can do to free up Memory. Too many to name them all