Star Lounger
    Thanks

Save CSV as Unicode UTF-8 (2000 SR-3)

Hope I can ask this question in this forum.

I receive data files from another development team in csv format (I suspect created with Excel, but not positive) and I suspect they are created and saved with ANSI encoding. I need to read the files on Japanese-build PCs. Problem is that Latin special characters (accented characters, etc.) are transformed into Japanese characters, probably because the Japanese encoding scheme is different.

The goal is convert the files into UTF-8 encoded text files -- csv or txt -- which will eventually be read in a VB app as an ADO recordset using a text file driver.

Question: is there a straightforward way to open a file originally encoded as ANSI and convert it on the fly to UTF-8? Word will do this on a File Open/Close, but I don't see how to do it with Excel. Also, since Excel doesn't seem to allow you to specify the encoding of the file on Open, once the file is opened the data is already corrupted.

Thank you.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Save CSV as Unicode UTF-8 (2000 SR-3)

If Word seems capable of doing something like this, why not ask over at the Word section?

It shouldn't be too hard to use automation to have Word first do the conversion and then import the converted data into Excel.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Save CSV as Unicode UTF-8 (2000 SR-3)

If you change the file's extension to e.g. .txt and try to open it in Excel, the text import wizard will pop up. It has an "Origin" dropdown. Maybe that shows the system(s) you need?

Otherwise, why not open in Word and copy and paste into Excel?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association