3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win2000 forgets dial up passoword.

Where does Win2000 store the password for Dial Up Networking ... and why would it every now and then (sometimes 16 hours ... sometimes 8 days) lose the password? Remember Password is checked. There are no viruses on board, no spyware.

Al

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win2000 forgets dial up passoword.

I've had this with Outlook and email accounts, and it could be that what is happening to you is similar. What I think happens is that at some point the session drops out and you try and dial in again. However, the ISP has a long period of inactivity before it drops the link, and so it thinks you are still logged in (even if you connect on another of it's modems). It only allows you to log in once (perhaps) and so tells Windows that you have not been authenticated. Windows asks you for a new password, which overwrites the old one. But Windows still can't connect, so doesn't save the new password!

Result - blank password.

As I said, this has happened to me with email account details in the past, and I can see how it may happen on dial up. It would be totally random, as it will depend on the drop out of the session and your reconnection attempts, rather than any particular defined trigger.

Does this scenario fit? Not a lot you can do about it if it does, I'm afraid (except change ISP or use an alternative number), and if it doesn't then I'm fresh out of ideas.

HTH.

Stuart

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can see the possibilities there. But in my case there are no long periods of inactivity. Just happens between one successful connect and the the next attempt. Sometimes loses only the password. Sometimes the username has to be resupplied. I've tried tracking other programs being used to see if possibly a certain program is messing up a portion of memory, but so far there is no obvious pattern showing. Frustrating. But thanks for the suggestion.

Al

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting thing ... after installing some of the MS security and otherwise updates and patches ... all of a sudden I have had no problem with the username and password being forgotten. Things have been smooth for better than 2 weeks now. It might be a coincidence. But it's nice while it's working. And no, I don't remember which patch/update "might" have cleared the problem, or why.

Al