Lounger
    Thanks

Copying files (Access97 / SR1)

Some help please - to save me wasting too much time banging my head.
    I am running a client server arrangements with tables on the service and forms on local PC's. Works very well.
    I have set a custom field in properties to hold a verson number. A copy of the front end is held on the server.
    When users go into the database I want to check the verson on the server and if it is different prompt the user to update. Module to do this written and works fine as far as it goes.

Where I am getting stuck is copying the server version of the front end back to the PC. When I do this from within the Access application I get error 70, access denied. Not surprising really.

Is there a simple way to to copy the server version to the local PC and then run it?

My knowledge of programming is limited - would have to find out how to create a stand alone VB applet to do this. I had considered using a routine burried in the back end to execute the copy code but I am having difficulty in working out how to pass parameters to it from the front end and do not wish to load it as it performance would be unduly affected.

Probably going about this in quite the wrong way but any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Copying files (Access97 / SR1)

There are different approaches to this, but it depends on how much work you want to make your users do and how much you want to do for them. What I've done in the past is maintain a local table in the front end with version information and a similar table in the back end linked to the front end. When the database is opened, the first thing it does is check the two tables to see if the versions match. If not, you can give the user a message that they must download the current version. Then you simply exit the application so they have no choice.

You can automate this using a second (or third, depending on how you count) database, shell out to that database, which contains nothing but the code to copy the master front end to the local machine and the shell back to the now-current front end, and let it handle the update and return you to the new front end. Shell can be tricky, however, especially over a network and with spaces in paths. There was a November 2000 article in Access-VB-SQL Article "Automatically Update Access Databases", by Ken Wilkinson, that demonstrates this technique if you can track down a copy.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks Charlotte
    i had a feeling that I would have to go down this route. I feel that I have to fully automate as the users are not reliably PC literate. As to the Shell I hope that this does not cause too many problems - there are no spaces in directory names and the file names and path names are held in a table so should not be too bad to do.

If any has some sample code handy this would save me time.

Thanks for your help

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Try Tony Toew's frontend-updater found at http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Or here's one I found at UtterAccess, it may be what you need.

All the instructions are in the module.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the link - looks like a useful site. Unfortunately the utility you point to is more sophisticated than I need, I was just hoping for a few lines of code. Thanks for the help.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the attachment. Unfortunately my version of access does not recognise it so I can't open it. Will keep on looking though. Thans for your help

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

John
    I have attached a word doc with all the instructions.
    I couldn't convert to 97 so this should help you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John

To further Charlotte's response:

I use this same Ken Wilkinson code with success and I also add the following shortcuts to each client computer:

1. Manually Refresh Your Program from the Server