Lounger
    Thanks

aligning text in table columns (Word 2K, SR-1)

A co-worker is having problems aligning text in columns by selecting adjacent columns and choosing the alignment button on the formatting toolbar. This happens when data from an Excel worksheet is copied into Word as Formatted text (formatted text allows you to add extra spacing between columns). When she selects one or two columns to right align text, all columns (including the end row markers) end up selected after she chooses the right align button on the formatting toolbar. She can go to Format/Paragraph and choose right align and it works fine.

Her computer was recently upgraded from Windows NT, Version 4, Serv. Pack 6 to Windows 2000, Version 5, Service Pack 2. She didn't have the problem before the upgrade. If she is working on a machine with Windows NT, the problem isn't there. We have roaming profiles where we work so whatever you have in your profile usually goes with you (except when crossing over operating system platforms). I don't have the problem she is having. Does anyone know what is causing this problem? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: aligning text in table columns (Word 2K, SR-1)

I am very suspicious that Word, in a well intentioned but misguided effort to emulate the formatting of the Excel sheet, might have created some merged cells. Selecting a "column" in a table with merged cells creates metaphysical problems for Word: is the column the nth cell in each row, or is the column the cell that should have been the nth cell had it not been merged with an earlier cell? If this is in fact the problem, I don't know if there is a solution. Why this should work differently on your Windows NT profile than your Windows 2000 profile, I don't know, but if your profiles determine such things as the default compatibility settings (Tools>Options>Compatibility) then there are any number of settings that could potentially affect the way Word handles tables in a given document...

Lounger
    Thanks

No, we checked for merged cells. Plus, a table where the data came from Excel that I've worked on still presents the same problems for her. We tried converting the table to text, then back to a table and the same problem occurs. She found a way around it by applying cell formatting, but it would be nice if we could find a reason why everything changed so we could correct the problem. Thanks a lot.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Nancy:
    I can't duplicate the problem. Is it possible to post a portion of your Word document? By the way, are you pasting the table as a link (I assume not)?

Lounger
    Thanks

We were creating a table to send you and thought of taking the right align button off the toolbar and reinserting it. That worked -- she no longer has the problem. Can a toolbar button become corrupt?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Nancy:
    Well, normal.dot can become corrupt, which can be exhibited in a number of ways. And a button can be accidentally reassigned a Word command if the Customize dialog box is open & someone isn't careful. Think of Word as a complex set of tables with pointers going all over the place. If a pointer becomes corrupt, anything can happen. Glad you got it fixed.