Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Delegate Rights (2000)

I have set up a user with editor rights to another user's In Box. I would like this delegate to be able to send /respond to emails for this user as the user. Is this possible? Currently as an editor the delegate can send/respond to emails on behalf of the user but they are sent as from the delegate, not the actual user. I'm thinking this is because the delegate is logged into the server as himself, is this correct? So is it possible to be logged into a server as yourself, have delegate rights to another user's In Box and be able to send email looking like it came from the user and not the delegate? Thanks for your help!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Delegate Rights (2000)

Under Tools, Options, Delegates, select the Delegate (delegatee) name, click Permissions and then under the specific options you will find an Author drop-down option. I think that option, instead of Editor, is what permits a delegate to send messages, appointments, etc., as if they were the delegator.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,
    That didn't work. I logged in as the user and changed his permissions to allow a delegate Author rights. I then logged off as him and back in as me. I then accessed his In Box and sent myself a message. My In Box had the message but it was from me.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I was wrong, either Editor or Author should work, and Editor is the more powerful delegation. I can't think why this isn't working. How are you opening the Delegator's Inbox?
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am connected to the server as myself. I open Outlook and my In Box. I then select File>Open>Another User's Folder to bring up the delegator's In Box.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Pam,

I believe that the "Send As" permission can only be assigned from the users Exchange account. There should be a setting somewhere in their Exchange account which allows you to add delegation rights for the mailbox. I am not using an Exchange server at the moment so I cannot tell you exactly where the setting is located, maybe someone else can tell you where this is located.

Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Barry,
    I accessed the users exchange account from the server. I selected properties and delivery options. I did not see anything giving "send as" permission. There was the "send on behalf" and "grant this permission to" option with my name already listed. This let me know that giving delegate rights from inside Outlook/permissions and accessing the user exchange account accomplishes the same thing. From the exchange account I didn't see anything else that might give "send as" permissions but I am not at all familiar with working inside an exchange account. Any other suggestions?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In the exchange account for the person who needs to send as:

Permissions Tab
    Show Permissions page (all objects)
    Display rights
    Click Add and add the other account
    Select Send As
    Ok

What a hell of a thing to have my brain crammed with. I should get a life, eh?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

We need you around to teach us arcane new tricks from the OldDog!
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I do not see a permissions tab. This is what I am doing: I select Small Business Server Admin Console from my W2K Server. Then: Active Directory Users/Computer>Our Domain>Users Folder>Highlight User and right click to select Properties. Under Properties is a number of tabs, but no permissions. Am I in the right place? Remember I'm new to this! Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, those were instructions for Exchange. If you use Exchange server for your mail you'll need to start that consol. That's the only place so far as I know that you can make this setting.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We do run Exchange. I selected Programs>Exchange>Active Directory Users & Computers. The same info shows as what I gave you above. Am I not accessing the Exchange server console?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Pam,

Did a little bit of searching at the MS site and the following link to KB281208 should answer your questions. It gives instructions for Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2000 servers. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Barry.
    I followed the instructions for Exchange 2000 with no problems but when I did a test to "send as" the email still came from me. I then went back to the server and made sure the change was still in effect. It was. Now I'm really stumped! I think I will contact our outside tech to see if there is anything in the way he set Exchange up that would not allow this change (even though to is reading correctly). Thanks, guys for all of your help. If I get this resolved I'll post it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Try this. When you're composing an email, choose View | Show From. You can then put in the other address. Otherwise, outlook will always use the address for the logged on account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast