2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bogus disk access -- virus?

I've had the hard drive light flashing every couple of seconds on my system. I've killed fast find and can't find anything in the startup group etc. to account for this. Besides, this is spurious and repetitive. I posted about this a few weeks ago, but I now have new information. At the recommendation of a friend, I installed the disk activity monitor filemon.exe.

I get this result -- repeated bursts of queries about disk space, for no reason.

8:02:03 AM KERNEL32:FFCFF72D GetDiskInfo C: SUCCESS Free Space
    8:02:03 AM KERNEL32:FFCFF72D GetDiskInfo E: SUCCESS Free Space
    8:02:05 AM KERNEL32:FFCFF72D GetDiskInfo F: SUCCESS Free Space
    8:02:05 AM KERNEL32:FFCFF72D GetDiskInfo H: SUCCESS Free Space
    8:02:05 AM KERNEL32:FFCFF72D GetDiskInfo K: SUCCESS Free Space
    8:02:05 AM KERNEL32:FFCFF72D GetDiskInfo N: SUCCESS Free Space
    8:02:08 AM KERNEL32:FFCFF72D GetDiskInfo C: SUCCESS Free Space
    8:02:08 AM KERNEL32:FFCFF72D GetDiskInfo E: SUCCESS Free Space
    8:02:10 AM KERNEL32:FFCFF72D GetDiskInfo F: SUCCESS Free Space
    8:02:10 AM KERNEL32:FFCFF72D GetDiskInfo H: SUCCESS Free Space
    8:02:10 AM KERNEL32:FFCFF72D GetDiskInfo K: SUCCESS Free Space
    8:02:10 AM KERNEL32:FFCFF72D GetDiskInfo N: SUCCESS Free Space

(and about 15 more lines in each burst).

Earlier, I got similar queries except they were seeks:

7:44:05 AM Eudora:FFF959C9 Seek C:WIN98TEMPORARY INTERNET FILESCONTENT.IE5INDEX.DAT SUCCESS Beginning Offset: 0 / New offset: 0

Norton Antivirus hasn't found anything on my system. What might be going on? A trojan that is way under the radar like the one recently described on Woody's Office Watch? (The flashing seems to start when I install Microsoft Office '97 into it old folder -- hmm.)

The system uses a DFI K6BV3+/66 main board (VIA MVP3 chipset) and I have had the flashing under both Windows 98 and Windows 2000.

It has been suggested also that the problem might be a bad hard drive controller. Any ideas?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Bogus disk access -- virus?

Have you checked in Task Manager under Processes to see what all you have running. You need to look for things that just doesn't seem right and do a Goggle Search to see what they are. Could be that you have some Spyware on your System, have you ran Adware or Spybot to check for Spyware? If you think you have a Trojan,there are several places on the net that have an Online Trojan Scanner, just Google Trojan Scanner. This will tell you what most of them are or should be. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm And here http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...artup_full.htm

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bogus disk access -- virus?

The line that looks like...
    7:44:05 AM Eudora:FFF959C9 Seek C:WIN98TEMPORARY INTERNET FILESCONTENT.IE5INDEX.DAT SUCCESS Beginning Offset: 0 / New offset: 0

Seems to suggest that a program called Eudora (mail client?) is checking the Internet Explorer cache.

There doesn't seem to be a process name in the lines that look like...
    8:02:03 AM KERNEL32:FFCFF72D GetDiskInfo C: SUCCESS Free Space

which suggests that this could be a device driver or similar.

Is your hard drive short of space? I know that windows does check for free space on the disk and send an alert when it gets low, maybe it checks more often when the free space is nearly at the threshold?

StuartR