Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Linking FoxPro DBF files (Access XP)

I can link to FoxPro DBF files using A97 but somehow the filetypes under Access XP does not include FoxPro.

Does anybody know where I can get this file type into Access XP?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linking FoxPro DBF files (Access XP)

In XP, use the ODBC Databases file type and you should see FoxPro among the listed ODBC types, assuming the drivers were installed on your machine.

Note: This response got posted to the wrong thread initially. Sorry about that.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

When you say assuming the drivers "were installed on your machine", obviously they were not as I did look there.

What do you have to do to install the drivers?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Here's a link to a previous post on this subject, maybe will help:

<!post=Re: Linking to Visual FoxPro (any) ,259619>Re: Linking to Visual FoxPro (any) <!/post>

"What do you have to do to install the drivers?"

Generally, buy Visual FoxPro (at least for VFP 7.0 or later). VFP 6.0 was included with Visual Studio 6.0 but not with VS .NET. I'm not sure if the VFP drivers are installed with AXP/Office XP. I have them on my PC but that's because they were installed with a custom application built in VFP. But I'm pretty sure they were already installed with Office (assuming you opted for all data access components during Office install). You should be able to obtain the VFP ODBC drivers (but not the new VFP 7.0 OLE DB drivers) by downloading MDAC from Microsoft. See this MSKB article:

HOW TO: Use Visual FoxPro DBC Files in Microsoft Access 2000

This article has a link for downloading latest version of MDAC. The article also explains how to set up an ODBC data source for Visual FoxPro.

HTH

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark
    That should keep me busy for a while.

The MDAC, isn't there a problem for one of these? MDAC2.6 was it?

Is the latest MDAC ok to use for Office XP?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

As for issues with different versions of MDAC, you'll have to check the documentation provided by MS. There are numerous different versions of MDAC available, each of which may have some caveats. Most recent version is MDAC 2.8 If you do a search for "MDAC" in MSDN or MSKB you'll get more links than SMBP would know what to do with. For an overview, see this MSDN article:

MDAC Installation

This article explains how MDAC is installed and some of the "issues" resulting from conflicting MDAC versions. As for Visual FoxPro, check this link:

MSDN Product Updates page for Visual FoxPro

Interestingly, MS has made the VFP OLE DB provider for VFP 8.0 available for download. But this would not be relevant in this case. To link VFP tables in Access via ODBC you need the ODBC driver. More specifically, see:

Visual FoxPro ODBC Driver Download

Note the caveats in page referenced above. The VFP ODBC driver is included with MDAC 2.5, it is not included in MDAC 2.6 or later. Depending on what version of Windows you're using, the VFP ODBC driver may already be installed. If not, you can download it from link above. This would be simpler than sorting thru all the MDAC packages out there and figuring out which is safe to install or not.

HTH

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark, you certainly have a lot of experience with FoxPro drivers, etc.

I need the driver to run under Windows XP, I have noticed that I have the file VFPODBC.DLL that is mentioned in the doco you directed me to, however when I try and add this driver I get an error that says:
    You must first install the current version of the Visual FoxPro ODBC Driver. Go to
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/downloads. Select Product Updates, then Visual FoxPro ODBC Driver.

I cannot find the Visual FoxPro Driver section mentioned in the error message. It also makes no mention of Windows XP, only all the prior versions, I'm confused.

I appreciate your time and effort that you are giving to this issue of mine.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what all that means, except one of the articles said if you are running Windows ME or 2000, do not install this driver - this would probably apply to Win XP as well - I think meaning it should already be installed. If you have the file VFPODBC.DLL in your system folder (on my PC (Win XP) its in WindowsSystem32 folder) then you should be able to use it to link or import VFP tables in Access. Starting with A2K, MS (with not much explanation) dropped support for built-in ISAM drivers for FoxPro/VFP (which are simpler to use), and mandated that you had to use ODBC to link to FoxPro. On any installation of A2K or later I've used, the VFP drivers have always been listed in the ODBC Data Source Administrator, so I assume they are installed with either Windows or Office or both. When you open the ODBC Administrator from Control Panel (in XP hidden under Administrative Tools) are the VFP drivers listed? If they are you should be able to create a DSN that can be used in Access. (The specifics were mentioned in one of the MSKB articles.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark
    I have tried to install one of 3 drivers of FoxPro in one of the User, System or File DSNs but I come up with a problem when trying to use it under Select Datasource before trying to link to a foxpro file. In other word I select the ODBC when I want to linkk to a foxpro file, I then try to select a File datasource and it bombs with:
    [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this function (#0)
    Maybe it's an old version of the driver? I don't know.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think you can use File Data Source. On my PC only one File Data Source was listed (for a VFP database) & when I tried to link using it I got error msg, "Reserved Error (-7778); there is no message for this error" and Link dialog terminated. AFAIK for VFP you should always use Machine Data Source, NOT File Data Source, when the ODBC Select Data Source dialog opens. These are the DSNs listed under User DSN (not File DSN) tab in the ODBC Administrator. The MSKB article previously cited (Art 197893 - HOW TO: Use Visual FoxPro DBC Files in Microsoft Access 2000) correctly states to create the DSN under User DSN tab. It then states, when opening ODBC Link Tables dialog, to use File Data Source tab. I would recommend using Machine Data Source, since this lists the User DSNs. That's what I've always done when connecting to VFP database files and it works as advertised. In other words, the article may be incorrect in this regard.

The only other thing to note is that when creating the DSN, you need to know what version of VFP is being used, and whether you are linking to a VFP database (.DBC file) or to a Free Table Directory. In most cases, assuming the VFP files are VFP 3.0 or later, you would specify Database Type as VFP database and specify path for the .DBC file.

HTH

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

All fixed now.

I downloaded the latest drivers from the net after which the 2 drivers "Visual FoxPro Database" and "Visual FoxPro Tables" are displayed in the Machine Data Source tab. I chose one of them (I think it was the Tables version, I cannot remember) and it worked fine.

Thanks for all your help and valuable explanations Mark.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Glad you resolved problem, when I first started to work with FoxPro files (after upgrading to A2K) I had all kinds of problems too.... it was a lot simpler in Access 97....