Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Requesting Data (XP)

Hi All,

I have been working with Outlook XP on my laptop for just a few months. I access corporate email from a server but the email stays on the server (it's not downloaded to my laptop client).

While Outlook XP is open, even if I'm not doing anything, every now and then - seemingly at random times - my client goes into a mode where it is requesting data from the server. A msg box with a progress indicator pops up to show this. Although the msg box can be minimized, this data is still requested. It is unclear exactly what this data is, since this happens at random times.

When this happens, you can't do anything in Outlook. Sometimes the data is finished quickly. Sometimes the progress indicator moves quickly initially but then slows to a crawl.

There is a Cancel button on the msg box. However, I've found that clicking this usually has very undesirable consequences - can't do much in Outlook anymore and I usually end up closing Outlook and even have to restart the system sometimes.

What is this data that's being requested? Is there any way to not request the data? I didn't see anything under Options that governs this. This has become a royal PITA.

Thanks.

Fred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Requesting Data (XP)

OLXP change the way RPC calls are made and it's WAY more chatty than earlier versions. It's just going out to fetch new mail and update free/busy. You'll notice it most when you have a slow connection. I think this was improved in the latest service pack, at least our users stopped complaining about it after that.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi OldDog,

> You'll notice it most when you have a slow connection.
    Darn right. Like this dialup I'm working on now. But I've now been logged on 15 minutes and haven't seen even one Request for Data. Yesterday, when I posted my question, it had requested data 2 or 3 times. But it seemed to do this even when I selected a few msgs and hit the DEL key (or Shift-Del).

>I think this was improved in the latest service pack
    What service pack are you on?

Thanks.

Fred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We're on SP2.