Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Firewall Faceoff: McAffee on Top Norton in Cellar

Tech TV methodically tested the 4 best selling software firewalls since portability has become such a way of life and although they probably will soon, right now people aren't on the road with built in hardware firewalls. The firewalls were rated for ability to communicate on intruders with accuracy, configurability, ability to block the evildoers, and advanced features. McAffee and ZA Pro were at the top, and way behind the pack and booted off the list first was Norton. Norton PF 2003 was tested since Symantec didn't make 2004 available. But given the real distinction between them, it wouldn't have mattered.

Norton PF, BlackICe 3.5, ZA Pro 4.0, McAffee Plus were tested.

Dark Tip: Personal Firewall Roundup

SMBP

Thanks

Re: Firewall Faceoff: McAffee on Top Norton in Cellar

I'm missing the part about the methodical testing. Here's the print view of the article and he really seems to be skimming the surface. Did I miss a link? Maybe I'm out of touch because I've been reading 20-page reviews of digital cameras and haven't looked at consumer PC magazines for a while.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson--

If you know how this guy works he doesn't ever skim the surface. There's nothing superficial about anything he ever does. He's very good at packet inspection and knows enough hacker methods. I saw how he checked them on the TV show I caught today, and they don't write all that much in the articles some times --I didn't drill the hyperlinks because I watched the segment. I think he thoroughly tested the firewalls, and gave them every configuration chance. Two of the firewalls, Norton and Black Ice gave consistently wrong information about what was knocking at the door. McAffee--I've never used one of their products--was the best at accuracy, configuration, and integrating their information.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

When his site is up in about a week check out www.kevinrose.com.

SMBP

Banned Member
    Thanks

<hr>Tech TV methodically tested the 4 best selling software firewalls<hr>

What about Freeware Firewalls

I use a Freeware Firewall called "Kerio Personal Firewall" that was recomended by some of my Brothers here in the Lounge, and it has never let anything through, as of yet that is. I ran every test Shields UP had to offer, and it passed with flying colors. And I was told that Shields Up was a very good test site, with a great battery of tests. What do you think?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds like a very good firewall--look at the results you have with it. Steve Gibson always has worthwhile things on his site, and has developed a lot of protective software and follows Windows vulnerabilities very closely--gets into it with Microsoft once in a while but they respond to him and pay attention to what he says.

SMBP

Banned Member
    Thanks

Thanks. Feel a little better knowing that. Cool.

New Lounger
    Chatswood or Tascott, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

I'd have been interested to see a comparison with the Sygate Personal Firewall (free for personal use) as I moved my dialup to this after using and discarding both Black Ice and Zone Alarm.
    In my view Sygate is a lot more user friendly than the last time I used either Zone Alarm or Black Ice. It has no trouble with the Gibson tests.
    Sygate present a number of tests themselves at http://scan.sygatetech.com/ - I can't see that they are slanted to give their own fire wall any better results than anything else.
    On my cable connected system(s) I use a hardware firewall from D-Link. Their DI-707P unit also allows me to network to (up to ) 7 PCs through a switch.
    That's my 2c worth.

Info on that at http://www.dlink.com.au/products/routers/