Thread: Format 3

Lounger
    Thanks

Format 3

I need to format 3

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Format 3

To my quite considerable surprise, it seems you're right!

If what you are tring to do is to convert a standard "HD", 1.44 MB diskette, to be a 720 KB diskette (like you used to be able to) it doesn't seem to work under XP.

In Windows Explorer, when you right-click on Format, you don't get any option for Capacity other than 3.5", 1.44 MB, 512 bytes/sector using the standard "HD" diskette I tried. I don't know if you can still buy the 720 KB "DD" diskettes any more, and I think I threw away all my "home" ones about ten years ago, so I've no idea what you'd get if you tried this.

From the Command Prompt, I tried FORMAT A: /F:720 and it gave me "Invalid parameter /f:720". Again I don't know what result you'd get for a "real" 720 KB DD diskette...

I suspect that to format a diskette at 720 KB on XP you have to have a real DD diskette... I will look tomorrow at work to see if I have any hidden away in an old box to see if my theory is correct...

Again, I can find nothing on this in TechNet!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I just tried my 3 systems and you are correct. None of them will format the 720 floppy in Explorer or from a command prompt. Good reason to get rid of the 720's or keep dual booting to 98 or Me on these machines.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

If you've got an old copy of DOS lying around, it will include FORMAT.EXE. Versions from about 2.11 onwards (and maybe earlier) support 720kb formats. So too, I imagine would the equivalent file from the COMMAND folder in Win 9x. If you're trying to do this with a HD disk, it might help to tape over the index hole in the corner opposite the write-protect tab.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

No solution, but more information here.

Alan