New Lounger
    Thanks

home network file sharing

I have a wireless home network network setup between a desktop with a Belkin PCI WLAN card and a Compaq laptop with built in 802-11b.
    Am using ICS to share an internet connection though a Dynalink router which works OK. Both computers use XP home.
    My problem is accessing the program and windows folders on the desktop C drive from the laptop - I get an error message "program
    files not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource - etc - access denied'. However I am able to access all files and folders on the laptop
    from the desktop. I can see both these folders in network places on the laptop and can open all files on a 'D' drive - a partition on desktop hard disc. Both the XP firewall and Norton are dissabled. When I attempt to share the desktop programs or windows folders the checkboxes are greyed out and a message -'all options on this tab are disabled because this folder is
    used by the operating system'- this message also on laptop program folder sharing options - but the desktop is able to access all program files and folders on laptop.
    Also notice excessive latency when first opening C drives on both computers.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: home network file sharing

What are the OS's of each machine and are you running any of the machines with NTFS instead of FAT32?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

DaveA, re your query - both laptop and desktop are using XP home. Compaq laptop preinstalled with NTFS. Desktop OS originally win 98SE and C drive formatted and xp home installed. using NTFS. Desktop partition D (FAT 32) left as is. Hope this helps .

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you log in to the laptop and the desktop using the same username and password?

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Are you really running ICS with a router? Is it modem>router then each computer hooked to the router or is the router hooked between the two computers? Are you getting any error messages?
    Simple File Sharing *requires* the guest account to be enabled.
    Someone might have gone in and disabled the Guest Account.
    ( If it is enabled, but passworded, then just supply the password to
    connect! )
    Or your firewall is improperly configured.

ipconfig /all > c:config.txt (you won't see any results on screen)
    Open c:config.txt This will tell how and if your network is configured.
    Also make sure you are using the same protocols on both machines. You can paste the text files to your thread.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm having a similar problem. Are you saying that both my desktop and my new laptop have to have a guest account? I've never had anyone use either computer except myself.

Sheryl King

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"Simple File Sharing *requires* the guest account to be enabled."

NOT true, see attachment and I an running a 4 computer network and ALL can see and share with each other.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.