New Lounger
    Thanks

Word TOA (Word 2000)

I am trying to create a TOA for a legal brief have accidentally marked an entry with the wrong category (i.e., cases & statutes). How can I change the category from one to another without having to redo the entire brief?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word TOA (Word 2000)

You need to do a Find/Replace.
    1. First, create your TOA for cases & for statutes (I assume they'll be separate).
    2. You will now see a case in the statutes TOA or vice versa.
    3. Look for the first instance of this case in your document.
    4. Show hidden text using the show/hide feature on the toolbar (backwards paragraph mark). You will see something like:

{ TA l "Gideon v. Wainwright (1963) 372 U.S. 335" s "Gideon v. Wainwright (1963) 372 U.S. 335" c 1 }
    { TA l "People v. Coffey (1967) 67 Cal.2d 204" s "People v. Coffey (1967) 67 Cal.2d 204" c 2 }

Note that at the end of the field, there is a c 1 or c 2. This puts them in a different category.

5. You need to select & copy everything that's inside the field braces from TA to the 1 or 2 (whichever is the incorrect category). Make sure you don't select the field braces. It's easier to do this with the keyboard than with the mouse.

6. Press Ctrl+H to bring up the replace box.
    7. Find box: paste in what you've copied
    Replace: paste in what you've copied by then change the last number from 1 to 2 or vice versa.
    8. Click Replace all.

If you've also marked the short version, you'll have to search for that & do a similar procedure. When you're done, select everything & update the fields (F9).
    Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word TOA (Word 2000)

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.