2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Axim Questions???

I'm thinking of purchasing a Dell Axim, but my big question is: can you delete programs form a handheld just as you would a desktop pc and can you format part of the "drive?" I guess the ROM holds the OS and maybe some other stuff. So, do you add your programs into the RAM??? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Axim Questions???

Hi jrebennack,
    I think the preferred way of uninstalling programs is via the desktop PC using ActiveSynch, but you can remove programs from storage memory (ROM?) via Start, Settings, System, Remove Programs on the Axim.
    I haven't yet needed to remove/uninstall anything yet so I can't say what the differences might be. I'm sure you can't format anything other than an external CF or SD memory card - at least as far as an Axim is concerned.
    AFAIK applications are installed to the ROM and run in RAM, although I find that the way the Axim displays it's use of memory resources is a bit confusing. Mine has 64MB RAM of which half is allocated (but not necessarily all used) for storage and half (likewise) for programs, and 48MB ROM. There is also approx. 21.5MB of 'built-in storage' which I am assuming is the part of the ROM left over after the OS is installed, but I am not sure whether the 15MB (of 21MB) that I am using is taken by the installed apps and/or the standard backup that I run.
    I hope I haven't muddied the waters!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How long have you had your Axim and how happy with it are you???

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi jrebennack,
    Got the Axim in mid-May, its the 400MHz version with 64MB RAM and 48MB ROM. I ordered the folding QWERTY keyboard and USB cradle at the same time. Am very happy with it bar some AS glitches which are not the hardware's fault. See my posts elsewhere in this forum. Pack of screen protectors is worthwhile as well. I then bought a Socket 56k CF Modem which works well and a 128MB SD card for extra storage. The IR transmitted data to my HP LaserJet2200 with no messing about which pleased me especially as I've never managed to get my HP Capshare scanner to do that!
    I've just bought the PC2003/AS3.7/Outlook2002 upgrade package and a Dell CF Wireless card, so I've a bit of work to do on it!
    I like the Axim and I like Dell generally. (I run a P4 OptiPlex as well and support other users on Inspiron and Dimension. My faithfull and only recently deceased 5 year old Latitude was still running its original (but heavily patched) factory installation of Win 95 OSR2 when the PSU capacitors died one night.
    The Axim is heavier than its contemporaries but is I think more solid. It has now been overtaken by some rivals with built-in Bluetooth and WLAN etc but I'm totally underwhelmed by Bluetooth anyway. The Axim was and still is cheaper than some of its peers so you 'pays yer money and takes yer choice' (cockney spelling). HTH.