3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Which version to use (hmmm)

Hi,
    We currently use Office 97 with Outlook2000 but we have just started the rollout of Office XP throughout our company. We are however not including Outlook in the deployment as we intend in the later part of this year to roll out Exchange 2003. The reasoning behind this being that Outlook 2003 will be better than OutlookXP and the CALs come with the Exchange licence. We have now found out that this is not the case and we will have to pay for each Outlook2003 CAL

Can anyone offer comments on whether there are advantages (extra functions, killer features etc) in Outlook2003 that make it worth paying for or would we be just as well using OutlookXP under the Office licences that we currently have?

any thoughts welcome

Fatherjack

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Which version to use (hmmm)

In a sense only you can determine if the new features and fixes are worth the price. They were not for us - even though we have an enterprise license, the rollout and training costs were too high.

The MS line is available at http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...ns/outlook.asp

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I understand what you are saying, i was hoping that someone will have gone for the 2003 option and convince me that it is worth going 'because the xxxxxxxx feature makes it worth it on its own'. I guess more opinions will show whether that is the case.

We are also concerned whether there are Exchange 2003 with Outlook XP issues that need extra consideration.

When you mention Enterprise edition, are you saying that an Enterprise licence for Exchange gives you the necessary CALs?

Thanks

Does an Office license count as an Exchange CAL? Or vice versa? I thought they were separate. Would be happy to learn otherwise.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

jscher2000 - you are right. I have misunderstood the details i was given.

We have to pay for CALs whatever option we take.
    we can get XP CALs for 30% of the cost of 2003
    If we go 2003 we have to purchase the 2003 software licence too.

either way around the details go, XP is cheaper than 2003. Is 2003 that much better or are there big problems using Exchange2003 with OL XP?

Thanks

> Is 2003 that much better or are there big problems using Exchange2003 with OL XP?

I honestly haven't even looked at the features. I typically wait for the first Service Pack before installing a new release of Office.

Exchange Server 2003 must be backwards compatible with recent versions of Outlook, or we would hear a lot of screaming. All I found on the "Exchange Server 2003 Product Overview" page was:

Integration with Outlook 2003
    <UL><LI>Enhanced performance and Exchange Cached Mode enables use over low bandwidth as well as over latent and poor network connections
    <LI>Improved UI enables users to prioritize overloaded Inboxes[/list]Doesn't sound very earth-shattering to me.....