5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Starting toolbars (Excel 2000)

For some unknown reason my Excel 2000 wil not save a customized toobar "...10.xlb" file. I've given up trying. Now, I create the custom toobar, save excel, go in and rename the excel.xlb to 10.xlb and open it. My question: How would one code a workbook open event to open that ....1x0.xlb file? Thanks

Thanks

Re: Starting toolbars (Excel 2000)

Excel should be opening the customization you have saved in the xlb file you are renaming. If you rename it excel will just create a new one. Why do you want to change the name of the file? It is named something different for different excel/windows configurations.

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have NO idea why, after I create a customized toolbar, the Excel program I have refuses to open it upon restart. That's the whole issue. I have examined the .xlb files in the Applications Settings for my username under Microsoft/excel/Startup and found, time and again since May, that the program does NOT save any customized toolbar I create to a ...10.xlb file. Something is saved, with the creation date, as just an excel.xlb file, but not with my customizations. It's just the standard toolbar. And, as far as I can see, I do have the read-write authorizations. I am suspicious of any security settings in Office I may not know about. So the reason I rename it is to get it to work.

Thanks

I did NOT think this file was stored in any version under the XLStart folder. If you remove it (not just rename it: excel tries to LOAD EVERYTHING in the XLStart folder) and then open excel, do a simple custimation to one of the toolbars. and close excel.

If you reopen excel does the change to the toolbar still exist?

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I put it in XLStart hoping that that would help. It is normally found one level above that in Cocs and settingsmynameApplicationDataMicrosoftExcel...., but again, Excel just saves any changed toolbar as excel.xlb not 10.xlb that is the problem. I have to change it or it won't work. After changing, I then can click the renamed 10.xlb open and get my stuff back. It seems I need to set up a Workbook Open event to automatically get that renamed 10.xlb file for me.

Thanks

Seems like you might have some kind of bug in excel, if it wants a different name for the xlb than it is saving. I am not sure how to solve THIS problem whihc is the real problem and should be addressed.

Steve

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I thought XL XP did use Excel.xlb, NOT Excel10.xlb. But I haven't got XP, so I cannot check.

PLease try this:

- Rename ALL .xlb files on your system to .old or anything else but xlb.
    - Start XL and make a trivial change.
    - See if a new xlb is created (and where)
    - Restart XL and see if your customisation is still there.

It seems to me that by having an xlb in your xlstart, you override your previous changes at every start of XL. But I'm not sure about that.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association