Lounger
    Thanks

Can't boot: Driver corruption + ??? Win XP Pro SP1

Geez I'm dyin' here. I've tried everything I know, everything I can find on the web, and quite a bit of stuff I don't know, and...

Whenever I try to boot up normally, I get the message:

"Driver_Corrupted_MMPOOL" and then a very quick reboot. Normally it flashes by so fast I can't read it.

Sometimes, I also get "File corrupted: windows stopped because of corrupted HAL.DLL"

I also find that all my USB ports are unoperational; according to Device Manager, they could not start. The devices are: "Stnadard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller," 4 different "VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller," and 4 different "USB Root Hubs."

I've also tried all the fixes suggested at

http://www.osr.com/ddk/ddtools/bccodes_3e07.htm

which discusses the MMPOOL (large memory) corruption. It says, for example,

"An alternate method is to open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSe ssion ManagerMemory Management registry key. In this key, create or edit the ProtectNonPagedPool value, and set it equal to DWORD 1. Then reboot. Then the system will unmap all freed nonpaged pool. This will prevent drivers from corrupting the pool. (This does not protect the pool from DMA hardware, however.)"

I added that key, but to no avail. This might mean that some DMA hardware is corrupting the pool, but I haven't added any.

Also on the suggeston of that page, I've tried running the Device Verifier Tool, but apparently it doesn't kick in soon enough to stop the corruption.

I've replaced the HAL.DLL file from the SP1 folder

I've removed the USB ports and restarted.

Still, all I can do now is boot in Safe mode. For a while I could boot with network support but now that's disappeared as well.

I took out my NVidea card and fell back on the S3 video on the motherboard, and that seems to have brought the USB ports back to life, but I still have no printers, no network, and no audio.

Similar problems occurred when I removed Adobe Acrobat 5, preparatory to installing Acrobat 6. I was able to get back in normal service when I ran Norton WinDoctor, which found lots of incorrect old
    Acrobat keys in the registry. I then went ahead and installed Acrobat 6, which might be at the root of the problem. However, in Safe mode I can't uninstall Acrobat 6, and I can't run WinDoctor either.

I've tried to reinstall Windows from the CD, but it hangs up again on either HAL.DLL or MMPOOL.

I really don't want to wipe the system clean and start all over again on a reformatted drive, although that may be my only option. I've backed up most of my files, but not all of them, and I'd hate to lose my 2GB of music.

SO...YIKES!!! Any suggestions, anybody?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't boot: Driver corruption + ??? Win XP Pro SP1

Hi Rich--

You can boot to Safe Mode--you have something useful going for you and I have two quick options to try in this order:

1) When you F8 to the Windows XP Advanced Options Menu select "Safe Mode With a Command Prompt" and try System Restore from there which often works better than System Restore from the Gui because of the relatively pure environment of Safe Mode. Please, please don't tell me you turned off System Restore--odds are you haven't.

2) If that doesn't work, and I think it might, you can try Last Known Good Configuration which is geared toward Hardware and driver problems but I prefer #1 head and shoulders above #2. Here are some detailed instructions for doing this:

304449: HOW TO: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt in Windows XP

Posts 284723 and 284948: How to Use F8 and The Windows Advanced Options Menu to Recover: 1) System Restore from Safe Mode With A Command Prompt 2) Last Known Good Configuration 3) The Recovery Console

Screen Shots of Emergency Repairs from the Windows XP Advanced Options Menu

hth--this often does,

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the great ideas, but I'm still dead in the water.

Yes, unfortunately, System Restore was turned off sometime. By me? I wouldn't know, but it won't run in Safe Mode.

Last known good configuration isn't good. It just bombs the way a normal boot bombs.

Did I mention I tried booting from the Win XP CD to use the system restore feature there? That bombs too for the corrupted MMPOOL driver before I can get to the system restore feature.

Are there any registry tweaks I can do to stop this pool from getting corrupted or something?

...wits end

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This sounds like faulty hardware to me. Can you try swapping the memory with some that is known good?

StuartR

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Last Known Good often doesn't work--the MS XP Kit team ranks it #1, and I'll never see how. Too bad about System Restore--only good reason to turn it off is on a drive that's all data if there is one where it is worthless and takes space. One thing I want you to check Rich, when you try to boot from the CD where you could do a repair install or use the Recovery Console, have you made sure the CD-Rom is first in the boot order in the bios?

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Alas, yes, I tweaked the BIOS to force the system to boot first from the CD, and it starts loading, then bombs on the MMPOOL thing before I can invoke the repair facility.

The suggestion that it could be a hardware problem is a great one too. I think I can try to run the system with only one SIMM.

If that doesn't work, though, I'm just going to reformat the hard drive and start again. I have too much junk on my system anyway.

r

Lounger
    Thanks

Alas, yes, I tweaked the BIOS to force the system to boot first from the CD, and it starts loading, then bombs on the MMPOOL thing before I can invoke the repair facility.

Stuart's suggestion that it could be a hardware problem is a great one too. I think I can try to run the system with only one SIMM. That would make it 256M, and I can probably ooze along with that while I convince the mfger to replace the bad one (after 7 months).

If that doesn't work, though, I'm just going to reformat the hard drive and start again. I have too much junk on my system anyway.

r