Thanks

Security Updates Fail to Install

I just had my hard drive reimaged and I went to Windows update to update Win 2000. I installed multiple things, except for Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Express Install for End Users. However, three items just won't install, and I don't know why because the Windows update installer isn't tell me what the error might be. The three I'm trying to install are: 330994: April 2003, Security Update for Outlook Express 6 SP1; Q329414: Security Update (MDAC 2.5); Security Update for Microsoft Data Access Components (823718). Anybody know why these three might not install on my system??

Thx.

-Rich Belthoff

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security Updates Fail to Install

I don't know why this is happening to you--you may get some info at Event Viewer during the time the problems occur--"eventvwr.msc" in the run box brings it up--hit both Application/System and stretch it out to scan quickly, but I'm going to show you Technet MS Security Site Links and some Windows Update troubleshooting support links. Windows Update is being revamped now, and the name will be changed to Microsoft Update out in 12 months. They hope to iron out the many glitches that have been reported on newsgroups and have collected them, including their own newsgroups on Windows Update and to include updates for all their programs glitch free. We'll see.

Here are links to the TechNet Micrososft Security Site where I recommend you get the Security Updates and subscribe to the Newsletter and Links to support and trouble shooting for Windows Update:

See this thread Update Advice, Lounge particularly Post 294875

Let me know if you have any problems downloading these after you hit the security site links provided in the linked thread.

hth,

SMBP

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Some of it's beyond me! <grin> Anyway, two of the updates installed OK today. I have no idea what's different, but something is, I guess. The third wouldn't install, but I figure if I wait a day or two, it'll install as well.

Thx.

-Rich

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If it doesn't Rich just put up which one it is--I'll try to find a place to get it.

SMPB

Thanks

Here's the one that fails: Security Update for Microsoft Data Access Components (823718). When I ran it from the Security Page instead of the update, I get an error that the "dahotfix.exe" file could not be created. The "Reason" is INNTsystem32advpack.dll. This is the same error I got when I tried to install MDAC 2.8 (thinking that maybe if I install 2.8 I wouldn't need the fix!). I looked on ms.com to see waht advpack.dll is, and it has something to do with IE 4.1, but I have IE 6. Can I just move advpack.dll out of system32 while I install MDAC 2.8 (or update whatever version of MDAC I have), and then move it back? Not sure what it does, or why it would be blocking access to other installations.

Thx.

-Rich Belthoff

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Rich--

I'm not very familiar with the MDAC or Microsoft Data Access Components, and if I knew which version you have and what specific update you needed I might be able to go after it better. I'd also like to know which site gave you the problem--where exactly did you download from--can you link this please?

I can find the file by searching google, and the only MSKB I found was:

235302: Silent Minimal Internet Explorer Install with Custom Components

Not a great deal of help, but "This updated Advpack.dll file makes the installation process act as if each .inf file contains the copyfile flag of 32. As a result, you do not see the dialog box. The installation does not copy the older binary on top of the newer binary."

Why don't you make a copy of advpack.dll and rename the first folder to 1, the copy to 2 and see if this does the trick?

But first, I'd just try this download and see if it goes in correctly:

MDAC 2.8

Did you try getting this download and is this the download you want? I'd just try downloading this if this is the one you want and not worry too much about the .dll or run system file checker afterward.

Here's the Microsoft Data Access Download Site

SMBP

Thanks

Sorry for the delay in replying. I tried installing MDAC 2.8, and I get the same error. I'll try moving advpack.dll to see what happens. The error message says it can't create some file in a temp directory because of advpack.dll which is in "INNTsystem32" (and that's not a type, it really says INNT instead of WINNT).

Thx.

-Rich Belthoff

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Wish I had more help.

Let me know what happens.

SMBP

Thanks

I renamed advpack.dll to advpack.dll.old and MDAC 2.8 installed. MDAC 2.8 must have installed it's own version of advpack.dll because there's again a file with that name in winntsystem32 along with my *.old one.

Thx.

-Rich Belthoff

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks much for F/U.

SMBP