Thread: Crashes

New Lounger
    Thanks

Crashes

Hi, I'm way unfamiliar with the secret workings of Windows 98, and I have a problem. I recently downloaded the 6 critical updates from the windows update site, and now my computer crashes when I try to use one of the programs I had successfully used before. Is there any way this can be fixed by a totally inexperienced person? Is it likely to be a problem with one of the updates, and can they be removed?

Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Crashes

I'm not sure we can help, but you must give more detailed information. Exactly what program doesn't work? What are you doing & exactly what happens (including any error messages)?
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,
    Thanks for the offer of help.

The "program" I'm using is an editing template developed by the book company for which I copy edit. I'm sure there is no glitch in it, because my boss at the company can open all files with the template that I send him. This happened before, and the go-to guy at the company walked me through dumping all the "trash" (recylce bin, internet cache, temp folder, temporary internet files folder. That seemed to work----for about 3 days. Then, the crash-can't-open-template-files routine started again.

Just before this started happening the first time, I had dowloaded 6 Windows Critical Updates. Not knowing that you don't actually have to download all of them, I did just that---even some I'm sure I don't need (such as the DirectX 9.0b one, perhaps?). Is it possible to remove any of these updates? They are:

Successful Friday, September 05, 2003 DirectX 9.0b End-User Runtime
    Error! Hyperlink reference not valid. Web site
    Successful Friday, September 05, 2003 811630: Critical Update (Windows 98) Web site
    Successful Friday, September 05, 2003 814078: Security Update (Microsoft Jscript version 5.6, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0) Web site
    Successful Friday, September 05, 2003 816093: Security Update Microsoft Virtual Machine (Microsoft VM) Web site
    Successful Friday, September 05, 2003 823559: Security Update for Microsoft Windows Web site
    Successful Friday, September 05, 2003 August 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (822925) Web site

When I'm having trouble, I try to open a file with the editing template and get this Fatal Error message:
    Fatal Error 0D has occurred at 2687:015F6B97

My machine has 64 MB RAM, so could I be just vastly under-memoried?

I appreciate any help you can give me. As I mentioned, I am completely not a computer person, I work at home with one computer. So let me know if I'm in way over my head and this is something I should have a professional take care of.

Thank you so much.

Chris O'Neil

Today, oddly, everything is working. However,

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chris:
    When you say an editing template = the program, is this just a proprietary program that has nothing to do with Microsoft Office or is this a template that you're using with Word or Excel, etc.? Also, is that the EXACT error message that you received, or is it "Fatal Exception"? Please post the exact error message.

I don't know if you can uninstall the Critical Updates, but most of them you cannot, at least not without uninstalling Windows, IE, etc. This is essentially reformatting & starting from scratch. Generally speaking, it's a good idea to install the critical updates. 64MB of RAM is nothing in this day & age, so yes, that might contribute to the problem.

Cleaning out temp files, cache, etc. is always a good idea, but that may or may not solve the problem. Saying that the editing program can't be the problem because your boss can open files created with it doesn't necessarily hold true. If your computer is crashing every time you use the program, then there IS some conflict on your machine.

In any event, there are a couple of things that can be done in general. First, reboot your machine & go to Start/Run & type

msconfig

& press enter. You will see a startup tab. List (or post a screen shot if you know how) everything that runs at startup. You may have lots of stuff running that you don't need, especially if you have 64MB of RAM.

Secondly, close msconfig & go to Start/Run & type

sfc

& press enter. Let the System File Checker check for any corrupt or missing files. Since you don't know anything about computers, don't restore missing files, but you should have your Win 98 CD handy to restore corrupted files, if any. There are other things that might be done, but let's start with that. If you could answer my first two questions above, it would help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Regarding your previous post:

1. The stuff checked under my Startup tab is: POINTER, NAV Agent, Real Tray, TkBellExe, SchedulingAgent, ScriptBlocking, and AOL tray icon. (I don't even know what some of that stuff is!)

2. I ran the sfc as you suggested, and nothing came up corrupted.

Let me get back to two points:

+ I only run word processing--type stuff on my computer----no games, graphics, etc. Will upgrading to 192 MB RAM help, do you think?
    + I've become obsessed with uninstalling the DirectX 9.0b update that I downloaded. I can't find out from the Windows Update site whether this is possible-----can you navigate that site to find that out? I am just lost when I get there. If you find out that it is uninstall-able, can you tell me if it's a complicated procedure?

Again, thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Chris

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Oops, sorry! I forgot to reply to one other question you had.

My computer seems OK right now, but I think you're right; I think I get a Fatal Exception (0D at 2687:015F6B97) rather than a Fatal Error message.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chris:
    1. What is the exact name of your word processing program?
    2. What is it's version number?
    3. Do you get the error every time that you run the program or just some of the time?
    4. What is the exact error message, word for word?
    5. Under msconfig startup tab, what are the exact path & descriptions for each item on the right side?

Upgrading RAM can help (usually doubling 128, 256), but I can't say that is your problem. Lack of RAM normally makes everything slower.