Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word to Excel (ExcelXP)

Is there a way to successfully convert a word document into excel? I can copy and paste and the table that was in word comes out correctly but the rest of the formatting is all over the place. I don't think it can be done but wanted to check here for pearls of wisdom.

Thanks

Re: Word to Excel (ExcelXP)

Could you be more specific about "convert". How do you want the TEXT string brought into what are essentially tables in excel. Each word in a separate cell with each row a separate paragragh? Each sentence in a separate cell, each paragraph in a row? Each paragraph in a cell?

Do you want a picture of the word document? A link to the word document. All sorts of variants, some work okay, some not. Sometimes it works best to just hyperlink to the word doc so you can use the WORD features. Word is a much better word process than excel is.

Steve

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My supervisor is the one who wants this. She thinks that the heading centered in Word should appear in a cell in Excel centered just right. The table isn't a problem, it's just all her stuff in the header and footer.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I think if your boss really wants the table in Excel, with headers and footers in place, she'll have to create the header and footer manually.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Laura,

You may be able to get the Table header and footer centered the way you boss wants them by formatting them as 'center across selection' or by merging the cells across the required header and footer widths and centering them. The latter approach also allows the header and footer text to be wrapped.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I create a lot of tables in XL that end up in Word so I tend to leave the job of fancy formatting column headings to Word. However I do put headings on all my XL tables. Check out the various cell alignment options in Format | Cells. I'm with Maropod and his suggestion of using 'center across selection' to get simple column headings across several columns but I'd stay well away from merging cells. I've always found that once cells are merged it becomes a pain to select individual columns and resize them.

(not) stuck