New Lounger
    Thanks

Security dilemmas (XP SP1a)

Hi all - new here. Just caught up with a stack of Woody's Watches and am confused about security patches/updates given the recent MS directives to install a ton of them. Woody's clear about what to do but of course my Windows Update is less than helpful - it's showing around 8 things I should install, none of which are the ones I was expecting to see, given what I'd just read. I think one problem is that I have Windows XP SP1a installed - but I see I also have lots of SP2 updates as well - don't understand that. Should I install the latest Service Pack(s?) and go from there? I'm paranoid now about installing anything in case it trashes my system!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Security dilemmas (XP SP1a)

Go to Windows Update and install all of the Critical updates. Do NOT install and of the others listed in "Windows" and Drivers" section.

The SP2 notation is that they will be included in the future patch 2.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Mel--

I'd use the Security site; I know Dave prefers Windows Update but I'd sure agree with his advice to stay away from their driver updates because they are consistent trouble makers and go to the driver udpate site. You absolutely should install the critical updates, but I've only had to uninstall one single security Hotfix that I isolated for slowdowns, but that particular one was fixed later by Microsoft. You can always uninstall them if you install them one at a time to screen for side effects, with the exception of Direct X security hotfixes to date.

Microsoft announced yesterday at a meeting that they are redoing Windows Update it has so many problems. They said it would be out by a year from today and called Microsoft Update and will begin beta testing soon and will try to fix the many glitches and apply accross the board to their software. Meanwhile here are links that will help to you to the Security Site for Updates and their Newsletter as well as to the Windows Update Troubleshooting site:

See Post 294875

See Post 294886

Windows Update Troubleshooter has helpful links to fixes or workaround for the myriad of problems intrinsic to Win Update and is an index IMHO of why it's a good think they are coming out with a revamped model of Win Update called Microsoft Update.

SMBP

Super Moderator
    Thanks

One of the real problems people are having is caused by the jumping from using the Windows Update method to the Security site and then back to the Windows update site. One needs to use one method and stick to it. There appears to be NO one best method, just chose which you are going to use, and use it. I need to help a LOT of older people that do NOT have or want to take the time to learn what needs to be loaded and when so the Windows Update site works best for them. Also by the time the patch is loaded to the Windows Update site, it has been tested a few days more by those who are using the Security site.
    As for having to uninstall a Critical fix, I to had only one that needed to be uninstalled which was the same one you (SMBP) had.

Give us a link to the information about ALL the problems that MS says they are having with the Windows Update.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Every point you made is excellent, exactly right, and I couldn't agree more. I have found it really helpful to just use one, you make some great points--if my urging people to use the Security site causes them to go between Win Update and back and forth it could confuse them--but I use it as an alternative and I'm probalby a different user than the people you are volunteering to help and teach. And you are exactly right about the additional time for the patch to circulate and be population tested.

One thing I do like though, in using the Security Site, is that Windows update doesn't bother me with multiple downloads at once, and they install better, and I can keep track of them easily in the context of the Security bulletins and my emails but I totally agree that pointing the people you are teaching and helping toward Windows Update is the most feasible--with you helping them they have every edge to be able to use it well.

I really appreciate and admire that you are taking time to teach these people; they are lucky to have you do this, and I wish there were many more people teaching them with your kind of background.

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, all - I'm beginning to see how these things go and will now have a go at some (hopefully )sensible updating! Wonderfully helpful site - I'll come back for a good browse and learn some more good stuff. All the best!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If anything doesn't go the way you want, just post back up.

SMBP