New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 'Viewers' (XP+)

Regarding today's WOW-MM #4.17 - "Office File Viewers" -- why would Microsoft engineer a standalone viewer? An unactivated (deactivated?) copy of Office _is_ a viewer: it can read files but can't edit them!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 'Viewers' (XP+)

But it needs lots of resources and a fairly long installation process

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Office Viewers are for users unfortunate enough not to have paid Bill lots of money for Office itself...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

This might be a less than insightful question--or a dumb one, but suppose someone had Office 97 or Office 2000, would they have to have a newer Office version viewer to get certain documents created in Office XP, or now with the widespread XML format an integral part of Office 2003 would they have to say have a Visio 2003 viewer or a viewer for Word 2003 if they had an older version of Office than 2003? Or in summary, if someone had an older version of Office--I know this wouldn't apply to Joe who has Office XP sending documents to Mary who is using Office 2000 of course, but are there any situations like I described whre an older Office version perhaps 97 needs a viewer for documents created with Word and Excel XP or 2003?

SMBP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The short answer is yes. If you had Office 97, you would definitely need a viewer to look at something like a Word 2003 document. The XP apps generally default to a 97/2000 document format for compatibility, but that doesn't solve every situation, and it doesn't address the issue of someone not having any version of that app installed at all. That's what the viewers are for.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't even begin to understand it and haven't tried very hard since I won't be jumping to Office 2003 for some time.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

That helps--I have seen the viewers offered on Win Update, on the Office sites and knew they'd apply to people who might not have Office on their computer, but didn't know the extent to which it would be carried among Office versions.

I'd like to ask you another one, Charlotte. I realize it's probably a broad topic, but there has been a lot written about the IRM Information Rights Management--that enterprises wanted it and since of course they are the big fuel for Office since I might have to buy a few but they can buy a few thousand or thousands. I am trying to understand the use context that drove it to come out in Office for the first time. And there is a Rights Management download for IE available now--I guess a type of viewer maybe for people who don't have Office 2003 to view an IRM-authored document which is scalable by the author. I guess there is something on the Office toolbar that allows you to confir IRM ability--because I haven't played with this--on a document.

I know that if a document is assigned or created with IRM then it can be available to chosen readers for a specified time span or possibly renewable time spans--but what are some ways this might pratically play out? Some commentators on web Office sites have called it Microsoft's main justification for Office 2003. "A user can extract business data from documents for automated processing and access relevant business data in the document context" one article explains.

"He or she can generate reports and assemble documents from the organization's data base without getting the IT dept. to do data mining first," said Bobby Moore product manager, Productivity and Business Services, Microsoft.

This isn't a new technology, but new to Office. And I didn't understand the data mining reference (that it prevents the IT dept. from having to "data mine"--why would they have to under normal circumstances?

Attorneys for property developers have a deal cooking--it takes months of preparation and a lot of circulation of documents. They could mail the Word documents or the Word/Excel documents or any combination of Office components, but is this a layer of protection for them? Some scientists are working on a multicentered project, or developing some drug for a pharmaceutical company and some are in Europe, and some are in the UK, some in the US--they have to circulate data that's propitiary so this is an added layer of protection for this data that could have been easily circulated before? Architects from different cities have collaberated on a building and the plans are sensitive so it would protect their documents--I'm seeing the words protection all over the web page, so couldn't the information be protected by a VPN set-up?

Reading this web page, I still don't understand how it will be used.

Just trying to context this a little to understand some of its applications--and I couldn't do it with the Office web site.

SMBP