2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Possible hardware conflict

Background info: I am running a new P4 2.4 GHz computer with 512 MB DDR Ram. The operating system is Windows XP Home. The PCI/AGP devices are: on-board "piece of crap" soundcard, ATi Radeon 9200 128 MB graphics card, and an onboard network card.
    My problem is that when I boot into Windows, the computer is "half frozen" for about 2-3 minutes. When I say half frozen I mean that I cannot play run any programs but I can move my cursor and select icons etc. This has been happening since I got the computer, and I realize that I could take it back to be fixed, however I enjoy trying to fix things myself. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,

nautica

Thanks

Re: Possible hardware conflict

Have you looked into "msconfig" to see exactly what is in your start up lineup?
    Try disabling one at a time to try to catch the slow starter. You could have a "flaky" driver that is failing for most of the time, then finally loading OK.
    There also used to be a little utility prog, that would give you a complete list of programs that are loading and the TIME it took for each one. I can't remember the name, but I'll look around in my archives to see if i can find it or maybe some other Lounger will know it's name.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Nautica--

Definitely audit msconfig. Is your CPU consumption at 100% when this happens? Try also checking the processes you have running at the time in Task Manager and their CPU consumption--you can quickly rank the CPU consumption list there by clicking on the Memory Usage column to rank from most on down or vice versa with another click and control the columns of info by View>Select columns and check out Black Viper's Service Configurations for info on processes you might be able to kill and stave off some cpu consumption.

Also the automatic reflex is when this type situation occurs, although it may be hardware related, to run AdAware and Spybot because malware and spyware can cause this type freeze/slowdown.

Finally put "eventvwr.msc" in the run box and see if at the time when this happens if you have any errors going on under both Applications and Services. Scroll down to the time when this freeze last occurred. It might surprise you but you could.

SMBP

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My CPU usage is at its norm (very low) while this is happening. Also, Im very sure I have absolutely no adware on my computer.
    A key point to remember is that these problems have been occurring since I bought the computer (new) and booted it up for the first time.

Thanks

Did your computer come with any software that might be trying to connect back to the mother ship, either to learn of updates or for marketing purposes? How about network connections or chat/IM clients?

If you have a broadband connection, try starting Windows "unplugged" and see if anything interesting happens.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Bob and Jefferson are right. I've hardly ever seen an OEM computer that didn't come with a lot of "junk" activated. You really need to open MSCONFIG and take a look. Even if you see something that looks OK, temporarily un-check it to see if it's the culprit. Also, in Folder Options, the "Automatically check for Network ....." could be turned off to see if that's at the root of this problem.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You'll void your warranty if you tinker too much with a new system.

Did you add software, such as Norton Auntie Virus 2003?

Earlier this year, there was an update to nAV, I wish I knew which one, that caused NAV to take a loooong time at start up, well over a minute.
    I recently doubled memory from 384MB to 768MB and the problem has mostly disappeared.

Perhaps you have such software problems?