2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multi-user database needs field for 1 user only (Access 2000)

I've been asked to develop a Work Orders database to be used by all company employees (140+) for submitting work orders to a company department. The boss of the department wants a yes/no "Approved" field for his use only--a field that only he can see and only he can mark as "approved" for the work order records. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I should incorporate such a field so that other users cannot see it or so that is disabled for them but not for the boss, perhaps a macro? (The database is not going to be secured by passwords or user groups.) Any suggestions would be much appreciated, as I have not yet started work on designing the database as yet. Many thanks...Mary

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multi-user database needs field for 1 user only (Access 2000)

If you aren't securing the database, then there is no really safe way to do this. If you design the interface to never allow the users to see the tables or queries and to interact only with forms, then you could do it in a couple of ways. The safest would be to add another table in a one-to-one relationship with your workorders table and put the approval record in that table. Then give the boss a separate front end or a form that only opens to a "password" and including the approval table in the query behind that form.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Mary
    You could use a logon form which has an underlying table holding the user and Password.
    This can be specific for your boss.
    If lets say, the UserID = Boss and his Password from the table is eg: Cat.

You could pass this password to the form on an unbound invisible textbox.
    Then:

If Me.Password = "Cat" Then
    Me.ctlApprovalTickBox.Visible = True
    Else
    Me.ctlApprovalTickBox.Visible = False
    End If

The tick box would have to be set up from properties as Visible = False to start with.

There are many ways you can achieve this, and I'm sure many other members will share their Idea's.
    But, this is only one Idea for you.
    Good Luck

3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

I use the method Dave suggests and find that it works alright. However there is still the risk that users have access to the back end database and could therefore go in and mark a record as approved. Whilst you don't use security this risk exists. For my organisation there is no incentive for anyone to look at the underlying tables and we felt that Dave's method was sufficiently secure.