mark_riddick

Reordering lists

I have a list of items presented in a particular order. I wish to add an item to this list but place it somewhere in the middle. Is there a way showing the list and dragging an item up or down to change its order in the list? This seems to be similar to the tab order feature in forms design. Is there an ActiveX control that will do what I want?

Hope someone can point me in the right direction

Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reordering lists

What version of access do you use?
    What is the source of your list, a query or a list?
    To be able to help you more information is needed.

mark_riddick

Bart

Apologies for being so vague.
    Access 2000
    Source for the list would be a query or SQL string

To expand the detail a little further I have developed a system that holds a list of items in our warehouse and allows our engineers to develop a manifest consisting of selection of those items. The list contains some 1300 items. To help the engineers these items are categorised then have an order imposed on them ( a field is used to hold a sortable value) to determine how they are presented; alpha sorting is not sufficient. One of the engineers is responsible for adding new items and making changes to the existing list. I wish to present a list of these items, by their category, in the predetermined order. This will be generated either by a compiled query or by a coded SQL string. To this list the engineer wishes to add a new item then move it to its appropriate position in this list. The list needs to effectively recalculate the sort order to reflect the inclusion and subsequent displacement of items lower than the insertion point. This should also work for existing items moved up or down in the list. So what I am looking for is drag and drop or up/down arrows to move items and the necessary code to recalculate the field that holds the sort order value relative to the position of the item in the list.

Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just add the item the way you do normally and use the requery method of the listbox. The listbox will be populated with new data then. If you have an order by clause in your query the item will show up in the proper place!