Thread: DOS command

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DOS command

This board seems to be the most likely place to post this. Is there a DOS command that will return all node addys actively connected to a LAN? Thanks in advance.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DOS command

I didn't know that a LAN had any "node addys", whatever they are.

Are you asking whether there's a command to determine which IP addresses in a range return a positive response?
    With a bit more information, I'd probably construct something in a BATch file which made use of something along the lines of:
    FOR /L %%a IN (1,1,255) DO PING -n 1 11.22.33.%%a

Or you might consider using NBTSTAT...

If you say what you want to test, what the range(s) are, the subnet mask, what you want to do with the results, as a MINIMUM, I could probably knock up a working BATch file for you!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It was my understanding that any component (PC, Printer, etc) that attaches to a LAN is a node. Each node has an IP address. Is this not correct?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's sort of correct. For the kinds of LAN that are most commonly in use.

It is not necessary to run IP protocol on a LAN at all. For example you could have 2 or 3 Windows 98 PCs running NETbeui protocol to share files and no IP addresses in use at all.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And in addition, if you're willing to settle for names rather than IP nums, NET VIEW will return the machines currently engaged. Huh?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You still haven't explained what you want! A powered-on and connected device on a LAN could be called a node, I suppose, if you wish. But do you want a list of working servers? PCs? printers? hubs? routers? switches? any other connected device? any combination of these? Many/most of these can be pulled out by a number of command-line utilities, as I and others have suggested...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John and every one else for the responses. What I was looking for was the ability to see what users (PC's) are currently connected to our LAN. The Net View command seems to be what I was looking for.