2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Extremely Large Excel Files (Office 2000)

I have a user who's having a problem in Excel. All of her files are much larger than normal. I noticed that they are now .xlw (Excel 4.0 Workbook) files. For example one file was 951 kb as she'd saved it, I resaved as .xls file and that brought it down to 615 kb, but if I copied all the workbooks to a new file it came down dramatically to 65 kb. I can't find any documentation anywhere that would explain why all of a sudden this is happening. This is not a new install, and we have installed Office updates within the last few weeks. Is there a way that the default file type can be changed? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks much, Judy Crawford

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Extremely Large Excel Files (Office 2000)

Jugy,
    I did a bit of Googling

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Extremely Large Excel Files (Office 2000)

Hi Judy,

The .xlw or Workspace is designed to have Excel remember to open existing Excel files together and arrange them on the screen in whatever preference the user has chosen (vertical, horizontal, tiled or cascade.

If you were to have several Excel files open at the same time (i.e. QTR1.xls, QTR2.xls, QTR3.xls, QTR4.xls), then you go to Window/Arrange and choose something so you can see the files on the screen at the same time(Tiled). Then under file/save as workspace you give this workspace a name (2003 QTRS)and save. The next time you want to use those files at the same time, you can open the Workspace (2003 QTRS.xlw) and Excel will open the files ( QTR1.xls, QTR2.xls, QTR3.xls, QTR4.xls) at the same time and have them arranged (tiled)on your screen.

As to why it is happening??? I am going to guess your user needs some review on the highlights of Save As vs. Save.

Hope this helps?!?!?!?!?