New Lounger
    Thanks

Msimn has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL (OE6 (1106))

I've upgraded IE and OE to version 6 in the hope that I would get rid of the following Error:
    "Msimn has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL"
    But this message persists, and I don't know what else I can do.

I've renamed Folders.dbx in case it was corrupt. I've read MS KB and checked Google to see what other solutions are available (one suggestion was that a Rule could be causing this error, but I have no Rules checked), so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

MS KB is filled with IPF Errors, but this message doesn't say it's caused in IPF, just an error in Kernal32.dll.

Does anyone have any suggestion how I can fix this? It doesn't affect OE, as I can still write E-mails and do 'Send & Receives', but it's just annoying to have this error everytime I lauch OE for the 1st Time. On that note, OE does not close; it works fine except for this error.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Msimn has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL (OE6 (1106))

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;225254 ...try this, if not, then hopefully someone else has a better idea.

Thanks

In each version of Windows, the code name of a memory protection violations changes. I can't remember most of them; GPF was a good one; UAE too. But if you get an error from Windows that shuts down an application, the IPF articles could very well be the right ones to review.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Mabel--

When do you get this error--what are you doing--opening, closing OE, reading email in OE, opeining or closing IE because it can matter as to the cause of this wide-spread and general error message.

Go to the run box and type in "eventvwr.msc" and under both Application and System at the time when you get the OE MSIMN error, what information in terms of errors are you getting in these Event Viewer lists--there may be other helpful error information that lets you hone in with more precision. This is not just a one cause error message. It has a number of causes

As a quick rule/out do a viral scan because some viruses can cause this error in OE 6 and also I want you to check the size of your deleted items folder, because a large one can cause this error as well.

This is from Tomsterdam's Bad Rules and Errors Section--and this error can be caused by conflicting bad rules.

Also see: 225096: OLEXP: Error Message Using Some Rules in Outlook Express

I've seen that error message in MSKB's on older OE versions, so maybe it extrapolates. I know some of these kernel32.dll KB's are aimed at OE prior to 6 and Windows 95 and 98.

Take a look at this--could a rule be conflicting? It was in this case, although the OS is probably older than yours and the OE version is 5X.

MSIMN caused an Invalid Page Fault in module kernel32.dll / Disable a Rule in Outlook Express

Here are some of the closest KBs:

276459: Error Message "Iexplore Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module Kernel32.dll" When You Close an Internet Explorer Window: Applies to OE 5X May Extrapolate to OE6

238585: OLEXP: Err Msg: "MSIMN Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module Unknown"

221486: OLEXP: Error Message: "Invalid Page Fault in Kernel32.dll" with Happy99.exe Virus

233264: OLEXP: Error Message If the Folders.dbx File Is Missing or Damaged

185414: OLEXP: IPF in Kernel32.dll Downloading Messages in Outlook Express

Here's what I'd do [i]after doing a viral scan:

1) I'd search the KB of the antivirus manufacturer you're deploying because I've seen a lot of similar KB's at the Symantec site. What AV and software firewall? Also I've seen similar ones in the Zone-Alarm data base.
    2) Deifinitely one of the first moves I'd make would be to use System File Checker. Again I don't know what OS--you didn't say.
    3) I'd apply two updates to your OE 6:

Cumulative SP1 Update for OE6--separate from OE6 and IE6 for OE6

822925: MS03-032: August 2003 Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer

4) One of the fixes here in this thread may be of help:

See Posts 291276 and 292528 in this thread including the fixes from Kelly's Tweaks and Site.

hth,

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP

I'm sorry to say that while your intention to help was/is very much appreciated, a lot of what you posted is irrelevant, b/c if you re-read my message, you will see that I covered a lot of what you posted, e.g.,

"it's just annoying to have this error everytime I lauch OE for the 1st Time" points out that this error occurs when I open OE.

Your commetns and links regarding Rules was covered by . . . "one suggestion was that a Rule could be causing this error, but I have no Rules checked"

Errors regarding "Error Message If the Folders.dbx File Is Missing or Damaged" was addressed by . . . "I've renamed Folders.dbx in case it was corrupt. "

I'm not being a real jerk, I'm just pointing this out b/c I feel you may have wasted your time searching and posting when reading the post properly may have saved you doing such.

Anyway, regarding Viruses, I've run AVG (fully updated), which did find 5 viruses/trojans. These have been deleted. I've downloaded and run AdAware, which removed 100+ cookies, trackers, etc.

As far as I'm aware, the PC is now completely clean. IE & OE are completely up-to-date. Maybe I can uninstall & reinstall OE to see if this fixes it???

Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.

Kind regards

Thanks

It might help to make a list of what OE does when it opens and try to disable them. These things might include:

<UL><LI>Starting Messenger
    <LI>Checking for new mail
    <LI>Dialing a connection[/list]If you work on your list (whichever are relevant to you, and there could be more) one at a time, perhaps you can isolate the particular action that is causing the problem.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Mabel--

Here's what I'd do now in this precise order to get OE well--you would save me and anyone else time if you had devulged your Windows Operating System being used with your troubled OE:

1) If you have 98 or ME, NT I'd go to Add/Remove and try to fix IE--quick/no downside/may help you. If I knew your OS and this didn't apply it wouldn't be here. That'd be this:
    194177: Description of the Internet Explorer Repair Tool

2) I'd definitely run System File Checker--present as far back as 98. If you have 95 well..I bet you don't. If you have any questions about that, let me know-- it replaces corrupt files usually getting the replacements off the CD.

3) Next I'd go to the KB for reinstalling IE and OE--here's 2 decent sources for that/some overlap:

Repair and Reinstall IE and OE
    318378: How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

4) I'd darn sure run AdAware and Spybot S&D at the least or other methods you deploy to get rid of unstable BHO's here's context for it:

298931: How to Disable Third-Party Tool Bands and Browser Helper Objects and Consider the Regedit Strongly--Can Impact OE Directly!

5) There are a number of fixes for OE--and I'll link you to some quickly and I also want to urge a great site on you--she has a number of fixes for OE and aids to reinstalling. That would be Kelly's OE section--she even has a subsection on OE at Kelly's A to Z under "O" Outlet Express--Great Site Check her Tweaks Section Later--Reg Edits and VB Scripts.

6) I'd read this carefully due to the intimate relationship between IE, OE, and also Windows Explorer--they're all very tightly intertwined:

276393: Understanding and Troubleshooting Unrecoverable Errors (Faults) in Internet Explorer

7) I'd get the updates I told you to get for OE.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________

I respect your strong rubric and ethic for economy of words and time. I've read and responded to a number of OE threads on MS's NG's and here and in a lot of cases when people say "it's annoying to have this error everytime I launch OE" can mean one of 35 different things and has if you google groups the archives on that very phrase.

If no Rules were checked, I'd have left rules alone--I could not have known. One of the challenges in fixing on the OE and IE threads are the number of things not revealed including the OS one has to try to cover.

You did well, though Mabel and you seem pretty savvy. You blew those virii off. I never mind searching out links. We have a few people who post numerous problems with urgency and never return to say if they were helped. They just post another problem.

hth,

SMBP

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I get this error occasionally and it is annoying. One thing I notice you still have Inetcomm.dll 1106 . The latest Inetcomm.dll is 1165

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Mabel--

How did you resolve the problem you had a week ago?

SMBP