Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Will my Norton AntiVirus 2003 trap <this> virus?

Or, to put it another way, how do I find out whether a particular virus has had its fix downloaded either by LiveUpdate or Live-ME doing a download of the latest group of fixes?

Obviously most of the time the window will say "Your virus definitions are up-to-date" but today, right now, I'd like to know whether the fix for the W32/Gibe-F=Swen virus has been downloaded and installed on my home PC.

Does anyone know an easy way of accurately determining this information? I can't see anything in the Help or other tools...

Thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Will my Norton AntiVirus 2003 trap <this> viru

I use PC-Cillin, John, rather than Norton and the only way I ever have (know about) to check on whether or not they have "covered" a specific problem is to visit their web site to see what they say. If there's a place in my local software to read a list of all nasties covered, I can't find it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Will my Norton AntiVirus 2003 trap <this> virus?

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 20-Sep-03 07:39. )</P>Go to the reports and then the Virus list.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Dave

Just read your reply after I posted mine!

I suppose it's a fair assumption that you have downloaded the corresponding fix if it's in their extremely-long list! But how do you search it? Why don't they have a sublist "New in the last x weeks", or some such? Using Find with the search text "Swen" gives nothing!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Since I posted the above, I installed NAV 2004, and that entry has been removed.
    I have NOT been able to find the current listing of what I am protected from.

Thanks

You can find the description online ---

Symantec's virus info search page: http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html
    Swen page: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen....swen.a@mm.html

--- but unlike Trend Micro, Symantec does not appear to number its signature file updates and cross-reference viruses to update numbers, so other than updating again, I can't tell how you are supposed to confirm that you are, in fact, up to date. Hmmm...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Will my Norton AntiVirus 2003 trap <this> viru

Hi Al!

Your reply gave me a Brite Idea, and I looked through the C: drive for directories named Norton or Symantec. In a number of directories was the file WHATSNEW.TXT which confirmed that the most recent included the fix for the Swen (the Swedish chef?) virus.

There was also some 'fascinating' information about changes to virus names:<pre> Old Virus Name New Virus Name Date changed
    -------------- -------------- ------------
    NOSTARDAMUS.1087 to Nostardamus.1087 07/23/03
    NOSTARDAMUS.2188 to Nostardamus.2188 07/23/03
    NOSTARDAMUS.2220 to Nostardamus.2220 07/23/03
    NOSTARDAMUS.2255 to Nostardamus.2255 07/23/03
    Nostardamus.1087 to NOSTARDAMUS.1087 07/24/03
    Nostardamus.2188 to NOSTARDAMUS.2188 07/24/03
    Nostardamus.2255 to NOSTARDAMUS.2255 07/24/03</pre>

Which makes very little sense at all - even less so since the actual chap is called Nostradamus!

And when are all the AV companies going to get together and decide on a Standard Naming Convention?? [grrrh]

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP

No, it's all good information, and I've saved all the URLs in my "AntiVirus" favourites. Thanks!

But you're not getting away with the <big>non-word</big> virii... !

Google answers
    Jonathan de Boyne Pollard

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

SMBP,
    I think you mean that there are no NEW definitions posted on week ends normally. But ALL of the current definitions are available for download 7/24.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

John--

Pretty sure you know this, and if it's old news forgive me, but make sure that you are updating your definitions manually M-F in whatever UK time extrapolates to 2-5PM Pacific and rarely on Sat./Sun with Symantec's home editions. Live Update for sometime has only updated definitions every Wednesday PM. The Enterprise editions (and you may be running some of those at work) do have Live Updating every day. I do not know why Symantec has adopted the philosophy that for Home and Small Office editions updats are not generally available on weekends. I know of know policy in force that prevents viruses and worms from being written and launched on weekends, just as it is my understanding that individuals get sick and go to hospital emergency rooms on Saturday and Sundays. But only 3-4 times in two years have their been new updated definitions available on Saturday and Sunday.

Use the Top Hyperlink and Shortcut it to your Quick Start

Differences between LiveUpdate and the Intelligent Updater Last Modified:08/29/2003

How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

That's of course true Dave--I should have said it more clearly. But they also should release definitions on weekends if they're needed. A few weeks ago, Jefferson did a table tracking Trend's release of updated definitions for a few days, that seemed to show--it was a little difficult to tell for sure that Trend was issuing more frequent updates--sometimes twice a day or every 10-12 hours than Symantec, I don't see the virus script writers taking weekends off.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Glad you're awake--it must be my high school Latin for 4 years finally coming back to haunt me--and turning out to be good for nothing useful. It never got as bad as virora or vira though.

What's the Plural of `Virus'?

SMBP

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"release definitions on weekends"

Some definations take more than a few minutes to define. That said when something is runnig in the wild, I think you will find that most ALL of the providers including Norton's, are releasing new data on week ends. I have found that the definations for NAV have been posted several times a day for some of the MAJOR infections. This is the major reason for NOT relying on the "auto update".

Thanks

Dave, I assume that you can set the parameters for LiveUpdate (or whatever TM is being used for checking for updates). Does Symantec not let you check every hour, if you wish to do so? Perhaps for bandwidth reasons they don't allow that, but that would be the only reason I can think of not to permit it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Live Update can be turned on and it will check for updates every time you connect to the internet. This would be only when you reboot using a cable connection. I and on 7/24 and reboot only when needed.

The options that one has after checking for updates is to auto install or interactive mode. The auto mode you would not know if you were updated unless you go and check to see the definitions date.

Symantec needs to add other options so one can control to their delights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast