2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Making a booklet (office 2000)

Hi,

I write free training manuals for people new to the airfreight industry in London, traditionly I have used my trusted golfball typewriter and made photocopies but alas the machine can no longer be held together with chewing gum and string. My daughters have dragged me screaming and kicking into the 18th Century and bought me a laptop.

I have retyped one of my manuals into word and it is 84 pages, however I do not want it to print out on A4, I actually want it half the size and then to double side print it..

Can I do this and can some kind soul please tell me how (please bear in mind with any answers that at 46 this is only my 5th week on a computer).

Thank you very much

Steve

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Making a booklet (office 2000)

The fundament'al question is going to be whether the printer you have does duplex=double-sided "automatically" or if you have to do it manually, and whether your printer driver supports the "2 pages per sheet" option.

Are you going to print it in the form of a "booklet", starting with page 1 at the front right, then page 2 on its back, with page 83 next to it, then page 84 on the opposite side, to the left of page 1 (and so on...!) If you see what I mean! However, 21 sheets might be a bit thick to staple through...

Probably you'll get a more informed comment from someone who's actually done this -- I stopped at a four-page, double-sided, single sheet of A4! (And yes, our printer does duplex automatically, so we did a few thousand copies... Hope you don't need so many.)
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

I don't recall whether Word 2000 had booklet features built in or not.

You might consider springing for (yet) another software product, FinePrint which captures the printout of your document and reformats it in various interesting ways. You can download a trial version for free; it will place a dreadful banner on the page until you pay for it, but you can get an idea of whether it is the shortest distance between your current point and your destination.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another commercial product, in addtion to FinePrint, is ClickBook (shareware) at http://www.bluesquirrel.com/clickbook/ and also look at the heavy duty and special purpose staplers reviewed at this site.

Another place for info is the mvps.org site at http://www.mvps.org/word/ where you should use the Search facility for "booklets". There are several good articles.

Consider all your stapling/binding options before you go too far down this road.

Good luck. ....J. Till

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks everybody for replying, I will have a go at a few of these suggestions.

Cheers

Steve

Lounger
    Thanks

i LOVE booklets! the easiest way is to set up text boxes, that flow into each other, then you can import your text, and manipulate how it fits. it's a little tricky because if you eliminate one box you have to go back and change the flows. i'm attaching some templates i made and use. you can get a maximum of 38 pages. any more than that and it won't staple well, also Word won't let you. (playing around will get you a bigger booklet if you figure the pages, but then it's a book anyway!) go to help in word to get directions on text boxes, then play. you have to print one side, do some figuring on how to put the paper in to print the other side (each printer is different, just keep doing it and write down the way that works). the text boxes won't let you put in graphics or pictures tho.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lounger
    Thanks

another template

Lounger
    Thanks

last another template