Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Updates blocked (IE6)

All of a sudden, I can't retrieve update files from Microsoft Windows Update and Norton antivirus update. When I try to update, I get error messages like can't find update file or can't access server. This has been going on for two days now.

I can access web sites OK (using IE6). I have a two computer home network and this computer (Win98SE) is the one directly connected to the internet. I CAN retrieve update files on the other computer (XP Home) from both sites and it connects through the problem computer.

Virus scans show no problems but the last update was about 30 days ago.

I am at a loss as to what is going on. Any suggestions?

Gary

Thanks

Re: Updates blocked (IE6)

For Windows Update, are you using a program on your computer that is supposed to retrieve updates for you, or are you going directly to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/?

For Norton, is it possible your subscription to updates has expired? If not, perhaps they have a support article explaining what to do when you get that message.

Lounger
    Thanks

I'm going directly to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ . When it starts the scan and shows 30%, 60% etc. it gives an error message including error "0x800a138f". I tried all suggestions to no avail.

I use Liveupdate for Norton, in fact I just updated it at the Norton website. Then tried to update dat files again and still got error. It references "LU1814" can't find catalog file. Subscription is not the problem.

I just thought that, since I'm having a similar problem with two different updates, maybe it's a virus or a corrupted file or a setting that got changed.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks

OK! I fixed the Norton problem. Your suggestion >>perhaps they have a support article explaining what to do when you get that message.<< was the answer. Deleted a corrupt config file. Thanks! Still have the Microsoft problem. Still seems odd that they both occured at the same time.
    Gary

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Gary

That is much more likely to be the memory address at which the error occurred rather than the error number itself. You'd be very unlikely to find anything in TechNet for that, because the address would probably differ depending on whose machine the error took place!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Gary--

For Norton, and this may be old to you but I would do this to get my definitions updated because Live Update is only doing it once a week. This link and posts linked below explain this:

Differences between LiveUpdate and the Intelligent Updater Last Modified:08/29/2003

See Posts 295662, 295885, and 295888 this thread.

For the Windows Update Problem try the WU Corporate Site at corporate.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

and the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Any of these posts below have extensive supporting links for Windows Update and an alternative the Microsoft Security Hotfix Site that will make your problems with WU disappear and give the option to recieve a newsletter notification of the security hotfixes which are 99% of the updates including Office. For the others that are released rarely that aren't security hotfixes, you can go to the site for example to get Windows Media Player 10 when it's released:

Post 295646

Post 294528

Post 294875

Post 294886

hth,

SMBP

Super Moderator
    Thanks

SMBP,
    This past week we had 3 updates for NAV. So you are wrong again about NAV being updated ONLY weekly.

It still appears that the real problem here is a hardware (memory) issue and not NAV.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Dave--

You may be correct and I may be missing something that Live Update does, but please take a look at this link here:

Differences between LiveUpdate and the Intelligent Updater Last Modified:08/29/2003

How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater

and the quotes I excerpted from it on the thread in XP JohnGray started. They outright say that Live Update is once a week on Wednesdays--and in talking with Symantec at meetings, tech support and running my live update, I've never seen it differently.

Take a look at the Intelligent Updater page--this is what I use--Mon-Friday--rarely 4/104 weeks is conservative on Sat or Sunday. This weekend was typical and what's the date on there right now--looks like last Friday to me--it'll change in the next few hours most probably but I've seen them wait until Tuesday. Maybe when that would happen somethings in the wild they're needing to work with--I have enough sense and empathy that I haven't hands on spent time with these type guys while they have to respond and make definitions.

The i32 Intelligent Updater package

This is Symantec's latest update right now available for Home. You're not going to get Live Update to get anything later, believe me I can proove that. Look at the time I post this. I am on a different time zone then you but I'm posting it sometime after 10AM your time in Seattle and what's the date on their latest update by the way?

20030919-008-i32.exe September 19, 2003

They didn't touch it. It was a weekend and while new virisuses circulated--maybe not with an effect like Nimda, Klez or Blaster and Blaster's payload can and will be easily modified by bad guys.

How would you view the difference between Intelligent Updater in my link above or I'll do it here to make it convenient for you--I keep it on my quick start. You've always said that you check iseveral times particularly when you've gotten alerted that something malicious is doing its thing, so what do you check? Wouldn't you agree as far as Symantec is concerned that this Intelligent Updater page on a quick start a few clicks for 25 seconds is the way to go--it's definitely more definitions than Live Update--. If I could start waving a wand and change things, I'd get Symantec to rename Live Update or else make it automatically update every definition change--after all they don't have that many--I've never seen in years of watching it--for Home and Small business--because I understand from friends who are involved in IT for enterprises they do it more often for enterprises--them update more often than once a day.

I've just never seen Live Update change anything except on Wednesdays unless you talk about back in the day--maybe prior to 2 or 3 years ago--I can open it up and click the everything around Live Update and in it forever.

Once someone has located the Intelligent Updater URL--we're talking about less than a minute of their time--it's not 30-40 like running System File Checker in XP or a chore like Scan Disk could be in Windows 9X--it's a literal minute and to me you get the latest definition offered so that's a real important bang for your security buck.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Dave--

Take a look at the contrast in live updates available right this minute from Live Update vs. the Intelligent Updater after a weekend here ( this is the preview page for the page I recommend checking every day):

Check this every day if you use Norton Antivirus in any version Home or Small Business

Intelligent Update Selection

__________________________________________________ __________________________

[i]This says it all at 12:15 Seattle Washington Time September 22, 2003

Intelligent Updater:
    Virus Definitions created September 22
    Virus Definitions released September 22
    Norton AntiVirus Corp. Edition:
    Defs Version: 50922c
    Sequence Number: 25018
    Extended Version: 9/22/2003 rev. 3
    Total Viruses Detected: 65105

LiveUpdate:
    Virus Definitions released September 18
    Norton AntiVirus Corp. Edition:
    Defs Version: 50918g
    Sequence Number: 24955
    Extended Version: 9/18/2003 rev. 7
    Total Viruses Detected: 65074[/b]
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________

SMBP

Super Moderator
    Thanks

At http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/share...src=sec_web_nam

<hr>How often are virus definitions posted?
    During "non-alert" situations, Symantec Security Response posts virus definitions to the LiveUpdate servers once per week (usually Wednesdays). <font color=red>However, during "alert" situations, virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers as soon as they have completed full quality assurance testing.</font color=red>

In addition to the weekly definitions that are distributed by LiveUpdate, virus definitions are made available for (optional) manual download on a daily (Monday through Friday) basis using the Intelligent Updater.

The following information will help you determine whether you should obtain the optional (manually downloaded) Intelligent Updater updates or whether you should wait until the next release of definitions by LiveUpdate.
    <hr>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I appreciate that. That's why I've posted the same information with links to the sites and the differences between the two methods of updating information in different threads around 25 times in the last couple months. Granted that making definition updates for viruses in the wild is an imperfect science, since Symantec and other sites say there are around 60,000 plus viruses identified, just as it is when virologists and infectious disease researchers try to make vaccines and removal tools, and have been trying with extremely limited success against biological viruses for the past several hundred years.

But I'd sure rather take 25 seconds to download the latest definition by clicking my shortcut labled "Symantec Update" rather than to wait for Wednesdays or when a crisis has hit like Blaster, Klez, or Nimda that has the security companies working overtime.

Surely someone can make a choice as to doing it manually or waiting for Live Update and can even get some pretty decent free antivirus services available, and we probably hopefully can look forward toward some quantum leap improvements in combatting these scripts in the next few years.

Microsoft might have bought one or two antivirus companies to make money as is their right and one reason to be in business, but I also thing that's a sign that they are going after the problems seriously and I would never underestimate Gates', Balmer's and Alchin's ability to solve a problem if they want to focus on it--and I think they will.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Gary--

I also ran across this and you might want to take a look at this little write-up from a very helpful site on ways to reach Windows Update:

Microsoft Windows Update Site Unavailable and What To Do

hth,

SMPB

Lounger
    Thanks

The Windows Update Troubleshooter suggests:

>>You might also be able to resolve this issue by deleting all of the content in Program FilesWindowsupdate and Program FilesWindowsupdateV4 except for the iuhist.xml file located in Program FilesWindowsupdateV4.<<

There are a lot of files in these Directories, do you think it's safe to delete them? ( What are they there for in the first place??)

Gary

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You could always set a restore point and delete them, and see if it works, if not, just system restore.

SMBP

Thanks

My folders have a handful of .xml files and one .txt file repeated in two places (and a .cab file containing that same .txt file in two places). Except for the history file, which appears to be personal to you, the rest looks pretty generic. I think you could copy it somewhere else if you wanted to before clearing it out. If you have a lot of other files, what kinds of names do they have? Perhaps those are fragments of failed updates (though I would expect those to be in a temp folder)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast