3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hung Up Install/Setup (Office 2000)

Environment: Win XP Pro - Office 2000

I uninstalled Office 2000 SR1 (long story as to the reason) and then ran eraser2k.exe. I then reinstalled Office 2000. The "completed successfully" message appeared. Problem: Whenever I open an Access mdb file, Setup starts to run (message appears "preparing to install...") again and it appears that it is going through the install process. BTW, the Access mdb file does open. This only happens when opening an Access mdb file. All other file types behave as expected.

Note: I have "Run All from My Computer" set for all Office programs and other components.

Are there any files/registry entries that I can nuke to get this repeating install to stop?

TIA.
    Carol W.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hung Up Install/Setup (Office 2000)

Problem solved! I realized that the O2K Disc 2 install was probably incomplete. It was taking an eternity last night and I probably ran out of patience (not atypical) and cancelled it. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy!

I started it up again today, with Disc 2 in the drive, and then left the room! It took over an hour (not sure why) but it did finally complete. At that point, the problem was resolved.

Hope this helps someone else.
    Carol W.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hung Up Install/Setup (Office 2000)

Thanks for posting this. It will help someone. Sometimes the Office installs or its SP's can take a good while, in Office 2000 and XP--and 2003--I don't have expeirence with Office 97 so can't talk about it, and someone who knows can explain why.

It also seems that Office and Office SP installs are way more problematic at times than they should be numbers wise. Most of the recent ones have been fine but I've had bumps with them and a lot of people do. Maybe things will get better with 2003 but as far as installs I doubt it will be much different. There have already been a sizeable percent wize amount of snags with the Beta 2 Technical Refresh's updates and MS has had to issue instructions on this.

SMBP