Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Win XP Helpctr.Exe (XP Pro SP-1)

Seems like I've seen this one before but I can't find it. My HELP in XP Pro won't run. I've tried it from the Start Menu, F1, Help within Explorer, and finally double-clicking the HELPCTR.EXE file in both the System32 and SystemHealth directories. The only result is about two or three seconds of hard drive activity, then nothing - no error msgs or whatever. Anyone remember if there's a fix for it?

Don't think it's Swen, 'cause all other EXEs run OK, PC-Cillin scan with latest patterns is OK and up to date Spybot and AdAware don't report anything.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win XP Helpctr.Exe (XP Pro SP-1)

I'm gonna answer my own post rather than delete the original, just in case this is needed for someone else. I found my own answer at Doug Knox's site. I knew I had seen it somewhere. Evidently, running Easy Cleaner wrecks one or more registry associations for XP Help. Doug provides a VB script that repairs the problem. Mine is now OK. (I guess I won't be running Easy Cleaner any more!)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win XP Helpctr.Exe (XP Pro SP-1)

I know you have seen these probably long before I have, but both Kelly's site and Doug's site--Kelly works with Doug and includes many of his scripts and fixes on her Tweaks list--have useful fixes for Help and Support--msconfig, and different utilities that are part of Win XP--often VB scripts or other scripts that are simple clicks and fix a whole host of problems within the OS that may corrupt or "break" and they are nice quick "go to's" when you have this kind of problem. If you read down their lists, they offer hassle free fixes for a long list of items that could otherwise be very complicated and time consuming to fix.

SMBP