New Lounger
    Thanks

Scrapbooking/page view (Word-Office XP)

I am teaching a class on how to create a scrapbook page in Word. First I create a custom paper size. It is 11.6x11.6 I am having several problems:
    1. I want to be able to see the entire page on screen without showing it at a reduced view.
    2. When I insert a background from the format background the view switches from print layout to web layout. Is there any way to still see it in print layout with the background intact?

I have both Office 2000 and XP and have these problems in both versions. Thanks for any help.

Thanks

Re: Scrapbooking/page view (Word-Office XP)

1. It depends on the size of your screen whether you can do this. How big a screen is 12" tall? I guess if a monitor is 4x3, then it would be 16"x12" which is a diagonal of about 20" viewable. Might get a bit expensive if you have to outfit a classroom with those...

2. Backgrounds only apply to web pages. However, you can float pictures in the page's "header" to get an equivalent effect. In fact, in a way, that works better because by default web page backgrounds do not print. But... I suspect you will have to tile it manually. I've never actually tried forcing Word to do that.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

1. The amount that you are able to see is dependant upon your monitor size & screen resolution. 11x11 is pretty big, so I don't think you'll see the entire page unless you reduce it in size (e.g. 40%). If you go to File/Print Preview, you should see the whole page.
    2. So far as I know, the background feature is designed for web use, not printing. Therefore, it switches to web layout view. You can switch back to print layout, but the background won't be visible & won't print.
    Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both for the information. I can live with not seeing the entire page. By using the format background and inserting a picture I do get the background to print. We are trying to show how to create a textured page.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You can maximise the screen view by choosing View > Full Screen. This hides all the toolbars and menus and shows you as much of the page as the screen will hold. You don't have access to all those hidden things unless you know the keyboard shortcuts but it is possible to write/edit in this view. Press Esc to return to the normal screen.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia