3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Summary Indexed Report (Word 2002)

I have 50 separate documents in a folder called Monthly Meeting. This is from monthly meetings. Is there a way in Word or another application you know to Index the file. Example: My boss could ask me to show all the comments made by Joe Doe about the new football field. Joe Doe's comments could be in 3 separate documents (Lets say doc 24, 30, 49). My boss would like to see the comment (could be a sentence or paragraph), date, and name of document the comments were in. Another example could be show all comments about the new football field (Searching the 50 separate documents and coming up with a summary report of just the comments (by document name, person who commented on that, date, and show the comments).

Thanks

Re: Summary Indexed Report (Word 2002)

Word really is not very good at this sort of thing. Maybe you could license a copy of Google and point that at your documents? I'm only half kidding: a program specialized in search, indexing, and highlighting the part that contains the hits would be the quickest way to do this. Building it yourself with VBA is possible, but it seems like a big project.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Summary Indexed Report (Word 2002)

I don't know of a way to do that directly, but I'll throw out a couple of ideas.

1. If each of the people's comments were in their own style, you could create an TOC for each person, by basing the TOC on just one style. You could collect those using an RD field in one document. However, that still wouldn't give you the summary that you want.

2. Depending on how the comments were formatted, you could have each person's comments start with a Heading 1 style & their name. You would have to combine all the files into one by using Insert/File. You could make a copy of the target file & then insert all the files into it. I believe that someone has previously posted a macro that will combine all the files of a given folder into one.

Once that is done, you can switch to outline view & sort the paragraphs. In Outline view, Word will sort the Heading 1 styles, bringing the subordinate paragraphs along with it. Therefore, you should end up with a document where the comments are sorted by name.

3. A free utilty that will index all documents (but not create summaries) so that you can search & located comments is called Wilbur.
    Hope this helps,