New Lounger
    Thanks

Wierd auto-correct bug (Word 2002)

Forgive me if this is a repeat of an issue that's already been covered, but I couldn't search the Lounge archives and I haven't seen this anywhere else on the net.
    Do this: Open a Word 2002 document and, with tracking off, type "(example)" without the quotes. Then, turn tracking on, select only the word "example", and replace it by typing "e.g." In my version of Word (latest Service Packs & patches applied), word re-inserts the word example and the change I end up with is "example.g." where, of course, what I wanted was to end up with "e.g." I know this is an auto-correct bug, because if I turn off the auto-correct option to "Replace as you type," I don't get the same behavior. I can't figure out what it's trying to correct - a dictionary word, perhaps?
    The down and dirty solution is to turn off "Replace as you type." I can also add an exception to the Auto-Correct function, but I work in an office where we produce massive reports. This bug was discovered when it sneaked into a document undetected and I worry about what other similar instances might slip by.
    Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Stuart

Thanks

Re: Wierd auto-correct bug (Word 2002)

I suspect this has more to do with the way you have Track Changes / Revision Marks set up than it does with AutoCorrect. If your deletions are not showing as strike-out text, as mine are in the attached illustration, perhaps the display is simply misleading. Check out <post#=272718>post 272718</post#> for more information on setting your "deleted text marking" options to work around the limitations of the Tools>Options...>Track Changes tab.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks

I tried this. I have my deletions shown as strike-out text. I got the same result as Stuart with example enclosed in parentheses or brackets, but if example is not enclosed I didn't get that result and if I typed a space between example and the parentheses it doesn't happen. Example spells out at typing the e. I don't show an auto correct option for that and it doesn't happen except using track changes and then only when I am doing the replace. If I change to using balloons, it doesn't happen. It is weird indeed.

Thanks

Wow, I just can't explain it. I do have everything after the first item disabled in AutoFormat as You Type, if that is a potential differentiator.