Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Normal.dot changed in XP (XP Students/Teachers)

I am using Office XP for Students and Teachers. My normal.dot settings have changed and I cannot access any Word documents. Critical that I fix this since my version of software gives a hint that I am a college student who frantically needs access to my thesis research. I tried all the steps that were posted in Post: 197827 and none worked. Does that post only apply to Office 2000 and below?
    I have run my antivirus ( 2 seperate programs) and my spyware programs (all up to date). I am in stealth mode on the internet - according to "Shields Up" and I do as Woody says - open no e-mail attachments that I do not recognize - so I don't think I have any virus, trojan or worm responsible for this. Really appreciate any help any one can give me.
    Thanks

Thanks

Re: Normal.dot changed in XP (XP Students/Teachers)

> I cannot access any Word documents.

What have you tried:
    [list=1]<LI>File > Open...

New Lounger
    Thanks

If I try to open files from the File/Open command within the Word program OR from Windows Explorer /My Documents/FolderName/DocumentName/DblClick I receive an error message that says "the 'named'.doc is not available".
    I tried to repair Office with my program disk but that did not solve the problem. This also applies when I attempt to open a file from a floppy disk - still get the same message.I would like to avoid reformatting if at all possible. Some documents I have backups of but not all of them. Is the entire Word program corrupt or just the Open command?

Thanks

Copy one of these documents to the root of c: and make sure it has no spaces in the name (e.g., c:test.doc). If Word will open that, we can try to work out why it's having a problem with the file name. If not, we'll have to look into other problems.

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 22-Sep-03 20:10. )</P>If you have the Norton plug-in for Word/Office enabled, try disabling it temporarily.

Added: One other thought. When you say your Normal.dot has changed, you mean your customizations are not there? Are you sure you logged in under the same identity? I'm not sure whether this would have anything to do with the problem opening documents, but I wouldn't rule it out.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Copied a document to C:root - then tried to open it. Virus scan ran but document would not open. Disabled virus program same results. Went to File/Open and same message came up. Explanation to "changed" normal.dot. After I attempt to close a Word document when I have an testing a "fix" to the problem I receive the message that "normal.dot has changed do I wish to save the changes?" If I say "no" I can not exit the program. I don't say "yes" since I have already renamed 5 normal.dots [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img] I getting them confused already lol. As it is now I exit Word with ctrl/alt/del. Really appreciate the help since I am totally lost!

Thanks

Have you tried rebooting since this started? Maybe some tiny piece of shared code has died?

You also could try Office's Detect and Repair feature (on Word's Help menu). This is rather slow and requires the original CD, but if your Office program files have somehow become corrupted, this would be a way to repair them.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have rebooted several times thinking that the "fix" make not work until I reboot. I did try the detect and repair from the program disk AND from within the Word program itself. Neither worked even though they but said that it was sucessful.

Thanks

Can you burn all your files onto CD and try them on a different computer? It's hard to see how anything could be wrong with the files, but I think it's worth checking.

"Not available" sounds as though it could be a problem with file permissions, but it is rare for a home computer to have file permissions (you typically need to have an NTFS formatted partition, for example).

I assume that you have activated Office and haven't made such radical changes to your system that Office would have disabled itself thinking you've installed it somewhere else.

I think you said you worked through disabling your add-ins and the other steps in Phil's post, so... I'm stumped.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I can burn my files - ugh - if you only knew how many ! - 2 college students - self and daughter - with 3 Web classes lol. Also most of our documents are created and run on this computer - reduces the chance of a virus hitting us if we don't have to transfer files back and forth from the on-site college computers. And I haven't made any changes to the computer - never touch it while school is in session - The product is activated and has been for several months. No problems until tonight.

Really appreciate all the input!

Ironically I'm taking the A+ software class but haven't covered this yet! But I have learned alot from all the input!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I wonder if it has anything to do with the student/teacher version. Any changes to the computer that Word might think it's on a new computer? If you have a small non confidential file, perhaps you could attach it to a post & we could have a look at it. If it's over 100KB, then perhaps you could zip it. That would test/rule out file corruption.

Can you view the files in any other utility like Quick View or Quick View Plus? That used to come with Windows, but I don't know if they've stopped.

If you've run repair, then it doesn't sound like it would be an association problem. Perhaps there's something in Windows itself. Do other Office programs work? Have you run scandisk & defrag on Windows...no guarantees, but it can't hurt.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for all the input - the problem still exists - had too much Access homework to work on it tonight but I have done a fair amount of reading and research - but still do not know how to correct the problem.

No changes to the computer - I ran scandisk and Defrag last night. I can use Access(2000Pro) , Excel(XP), Powerpoint,(XP) VBNet(installed separately from OfficeXP) and Notepad with no problems. Will reinstall OfficeXP if necessary - have Office 2000 Pro also loaded but XP overrides all those programs except Access and VBnet.

I'm attaching a small Word file for your review. Thanks so much for your assistance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Normal.dot changed in XP (XP Students/Teachers

I have Word 2000, but had no problem opening the file. Go to Start/Settings/Folder options.../File types tab & scroll for Microsoft Word Document. Select the word "Open" & then Edit. You should see a dialog box that has entries like the attached. If they are different, they shouldn't be, ewcept that the path to winword.exe may be different on your machine. But the /n & the Use DDE, etc. should be the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

On the off chance that it might help, you could try this macro:

Sub FileOpenManually()
    ' Show File Open dialog, accept user decision, open file manually if appropriate
    With Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen)
    If .Display = -1 Then
    MsgBox "Opening " & .Name, vbInformation + vbOKOnly
    Documents.Open FileName:=.Name, ConfirmConversions:=True
    End If
    End With
    End Sub

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for both your efforts - my settings for Word document are just like the one you sent. Tried the marco but could not get it to run - slow brain tonight - can work on that tomorrow - off chance is there a setting for normal.dot that I can edit under the folder settings?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast