Thread: 0 Disk

Thanks

0 Disk

Yesterday my daughter and her husband, running Win2K Pro under NTFS, had the cursor lock up, and upon re-booting, the system said he had no disks...

BIOS reports show the correct hardware (Maxtor 40 gig), albeit with 0sectors and 0 megs, but Win2K, DOS, and an attempt at a re-install/repair of Win2K report no hard drive present.

In DOS I would conclude a FAT table corruption. IS there an equivalent NTFS scenario? Anything like FDISK to attempt repair? And are these tools accessible and usable from a FAT32 system (for prep to recovery)?

File recovery by professional firms is possible I suppose, but extremely expensive... But the data is very important, as among other things, there are/were pica of my daughter playing for the Pope on her trip to Rome last month...

Any help here would be greatly appreciated...
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 0 Disk

Aside from the possibility of a harddrive failure there are alot of tools to try. First check all your cables and make sure the HD is seated correctly as it is possible you have a loose wire. With that done boot from your CD and Install the Recovery Console. I have included all the Microsofteze in the description of the following two Recovery Console commands that may be of the most help.

Fixboot Command
    Writes a new partition boot sector to the system partition. The fixboot command is only available when you are using the Windows 2000 Recovery Console, which can be started from the Windows 2000 Setup program.

fixboot [drive]

Parameter

drive

The drive to which a boot sector will be written. This replaces the default drive, which is the system partition you are logged on to. An example of a drive is:

D:

Example

The following example writes a new partition boot sector to the system partition in drive D:

fixboot d:

Note: Using the fixboot command without any parameters will write a new partition boot sector to the system partition you are logged on to.

Fixmbr Command
    Writes a new master boot record to a hard drive. The fixmbr command is only available when you are using the Windows 2000 Recovery Console, which can be started from the Windows 2000 Setup program.

fixmbr [device_name]

Parameter

device_name

The device (drive) on which you want to write a new master boot record. The name can be obtained from the output of the map command. An example of a device name is:

DeviceHardDisk0.

Example

The following example writes a new master boot record to the device specified:

fixmbr DeviceHardDisk0

Notes: If you do not specify a device_name, a new master boot record will be written to the boot device, which is the drive on which your primary system is loaded.
    If an invalid or nonstandard partition table signature is detected, you will be prompted whether you want to continue. If you are not having problems accessing your drives, you should not continue. Writing a new master boot record to your system partition could damage your partition tables and cause your partitions to become inaccessible.

These two might help. Good Luck

Thanks

Sinjin:

I'll surely give those a try... Thanks.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Banned Member
    Thanks

CW, One thing you might try is unpluging the Hard Drive, bootup to Bios and make sure it shows no Hard Drive. Shut it down, hook the Hard Drive back up and reboot and see what happens. Also if it doesn't work as Primary Master, try running it as Secondary Master and see what happens. I'm just trying the proccess of elimination to make sure those things are OK. If so then we know we are dealing with a possible OS problem. I have seen IDE go bad on Motherboards before and everybody was thinking OS and they were wrong. Anyway those things are easy enough to check.
    Also when you said the cursor locked up , do you mean that everything froze up? Your machine is not running hot is it?

Thanks

Cowboy:

I'll check all that out tomorrow... Machine is at dealer's... They said they couldn't get it started... It's still under warranty, but the files, obviously are not... so anything that might work is worth a shot...

I'll check those things mentioned tomorrow... thanks, I'll let you know...

Regards,
    Chuck Billow