New Lounger
    Thanks

Concatenate word docs (Office XP)

Is there any way to print out Chapter1, Chapter2, Chapter2 with sequential page numbers? (Actually I want to send the publisher the docs to print, with a simple couple of clicks to do the printing.) Master Document has a bunch of problems I won't go into here. Am looking for a simple way to get this done.

Thanks

Re: Concatenate word docs (Office XP)

This thread presents the opposite question, but perhaps it will help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. We've been through the manual number scheme and it is very very tedious. Hard to believe this is so hard to do. I am looking into some DTP to see if that will help. Don't want to simply create one big file as prefer to work chapter by chapter, each it's own DOC.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have never liked the Office Binder. I tried it with Office 97 but it gave more problems than it's worth. However, if you copy the documents to a binder, you can print the documents with pages numbered sequentially.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you are sending the files out to be printed, your best option is to turn the files into PDF format and send those.

Sending the raw Word files is likely to introduce repagination when the print shop sets the file to come out of their printer. There is no way to guarantee that the file won't change when displayed on another machine or printer while the files are in Word. You can get hold of their printer drivers and repaginate for that driver but there may still be pagination issues.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page Numbering Consecutively between Files

I don't know if you consider it simple, but you can do this with INCLUDETEXT fields. It takes a little work to set up.
    Page Numbering Consecutively Between Files

Suppose you want to number documents consecutively (e.g. Chapter 1.doc, Chapter 2.doc, etc.) & you don't want to use either Master Documents or Office Binder. For example, if Chapter 1 has 20 pages & Chapter 2 has 30 pages, you want Chapter 2 to start numbering "Page 21 of 50". Do the following:
    In Chapter 1:
    1. Open the footer & position the insertion point where you want the page number.
    2. Press Ctrl+F9. Word will position the cursor between field braces, i.e. {}.
    3. Type PAGE, so that it looks like {PAGE}
    4. Move the cursor to the right of the last brace, type a space & "of" (or whatever you wish to separate the two fields.
    5. Repeat step 2 (Press Ctrl+F9) & type NUMPAGES, so that it looks like {NUMPAGES}
    6. Select the {NUMPAGES} field & go to the Insert Menu & choose Bookmark (or just press Ctrl+Shift+F5). Choose a simple bookmark name, e.g. "bk" (without quotes).

In Chapter 2, you will open the footer, but instead of {PAGE} of {NUMPAGES}, you will use the following formulas:

Instead of {PAGE}, you will use

{ ={ includetext "Chapter 1.doc" bk ! } + { page } }

To do this:
    1. Press Ctrl+F9
    2. Type =
    3. Press Ctrl+F9 again
    4. 4. Type INCLUDETEXT "Chapter 1.doc" bk ! I'll explain in a minute.
    5. Use the right arrow key to move past the closing field brace (}), type a space, a +, a space
    6. Press Ctrl+F9 & type PAGE, so that it looks like {PAGE}
    7. Instead of {NUMPAGES}, you will use { ={ INCLUDETEXT "Chapter 1.doc" bk ! } + { NUMPAGES } }

Note that this is identical to the first field formula, except you add {NUMPAGES} at the end, instead of {PAGES}.

8. You must now select the entire field in Step 7 & bookmark it (just like you did in Step 6 for Chapter 1). Give it the same bookmark name, bk, just because it's easier to be consistent.

Note that in Chapter 3, you must change the INCLUDETEXT field to refer to Chapter 2. In Chapter 4, you must change the field to refer to Chapter 3, etc.

Note too: it's important to use the "!" switch at the end of the INCLUDETEXT fields. Since the INCLUDETEXT field refers to a {NUMPAGES} field in a previous document, this switch prevents the fields from updating in the current document. Otherwise, Chapter 2 would start numbering with 31 (there are 30 total pages in Chapter 2) instead of 21.

Finally, this assumes all your chapters are in the same folder. Otherwise, you must use the full pathname & double backslashes in the INCLUDETEXT field, e.g. "C:My DocumentsFolderSubfolderChapter 1.doc"
    Cheers,

Thanks

FYI, for better or for worse, the Binder no longer ships with Office XP. instead, Microsoft provides a convenient "unbinding" utility to extract your documents.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I tried this and the "proof of concept" worked. Now to try it with the whole deal.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Oof! I'll have to do this on an Office 2000 machine.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Phil, Oh man this is a lot of work! (There are lots of chapters in this book!) I suppose I could write macros to do it. Am going to try the Binder idea first. Thanks so much

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi William,

If you create your first INCLUDETEXT field, e.g. "C:My DocumentsFolderSubfolderChapter 1.doc", then select Tools|Options|View and check 'Field Codes' under "Show", you can then copy and paste the first field any number of times. If all your chapters are in the same folder, you'll only need to edit the document name. Then when you're finished, uncheck 'Field Codes' and press Ctrl-A followed by F9 to update the whole document.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Macropod:
    After reading your post, I figured that there must be a way to do this automatically. So I developed an add-in that would increase the Chapter number referred to in the Includetext field automatically. To get the format, I used:

{page} of {numpages}

in the first chapter. Then in all the other chapters I used two autotext entries ConsecPageNum & ConsecNumPage to enter the following fields:

{ = { includetext "Chapter { = { Styleref "Chap#" } - 1 }.doc" bmk1 ! } + { page } } of
    { ={ includetext "Chapter { = { Styleref "Chap#" } - 1 }.doc" bmk1 ! } + { numpages } }
    where bmk1 = the bookmark name of the nested field just above.

The "Chap#" is a character style that is applied to the chapter number in the document. Theoretically, this should work...and it does, if I use absolute paths. However, it gives a syntax error or the wrong result if I use relative paths. Could you take a look at the template, I've attached? I've also attached 4 chapter documents. If the 4 docs are in the same folder, it seems to me that it should work. I'm using Word 2K.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

I
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Macropod:
    Thanks for looking at this & making changes. I had spent so much time that I was going in circles. Will pick this up again soon & get back to you.