2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

text placeholder changes color (2002)

On one of our Office XP machines I have a strange thing happening in PowerPoint that I can't figure out. When you click on a text placeholder, type in text (Black font on blue background), and then highlight a word and change the font color to white the background in the placeholder switches to black hiding all the other text. Clicking outside the placeholder removes the black.

This only happens on this machine. Has to be a setting somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: text placeholder changes color (2002)

This might actually have something to do with a new feature in PPT 2002. See, in previous versions of PPT, it was often a common complaint that people would have, say, a white background specified in the slide color scheme with an image inserted on top of it, and their text would be specified as white also. So when they'd select to type in the placeholder, they would see white text on a white background -- which meant they couldn't see anything at all!

The solution was to change the background color to something contrasting with the text in Format/Color Scheme.

In PPT 2002, MS changed this behavior, so, even if you have something like white background and white text specified in Format/Color Scheme, when you select the text, PPT automatically puts a contrasting color in where the text is selected so you can see what you're typing.

I suspect that PPT's just looking at the white text you've selected and is assuming that black will contrast with it on the blue background. It's not realizing you've got other black text in the placeholder. I think this may be the case because the black goes away when you click outside the placeholder.

The only wrinkle is that it happens only on one machine. What happens on other machines with PPT 2002 when you do this same thing?

One possibility is the color depth setting on the machine in question. Right-click the desktop, choose Properties, and make sure you don't have 256 or 16-bit color selected. See if 24- or 32-bit helps with this at all. (This is a shot in the dark, though. I'd still be interested in knowing what happens on other machines when you change the text to white.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: text placeholder changes color (2002)

I have concluded that my problem is basically a new (better?) feature of PowerPoint 2002. I was finally able to duplicate the issue on a second machine. When you change the font color from black to white the text placeholder background changes to black. Not sure why but I guess I just have to get used to clicking outside the box to return the background to normal.

Thanks for the help.