3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Saving Mail (Outlook 98)

After reading / replying, I save / archive mail by dragging the messages from Inbox into folders in the root purposely created to follow some specific issues.
    Although I configured Inbox to have "From", "To", "Subject" and "Attachment" fields, when I drag, the resultant mail only displays the Subject.
    This is a nuisance, because sometimes when I am into searching info I sent / received from someone, I don't have his / her name displayed.
    Does anybody know a way to reconfigure (whatever), to change this.
    Thanks a lot in advance.

Daniel Rozenberg

Thanks

Re: Saving Mail (Outlook 98)

You can define a custom view (View>Current View>Define) and apply it to your issue folders. For example, I customized the view for a mail archive folder, showing From, Subject, To, Size, and Date columns. I then saved that as my called MailArchive view and applied it to the others. The key thing is to save the view so that you can use it everywhere and not just in the current folder.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
    It points to the use the Archiving features of Outlook, which I am not using now, nor am familiar with.
    I will get acquainted with those, and try to apply your advice.
    Thanks again.

Daniel Rozenberg

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Views have nothing to do with archiving. Create a custom view that contains the fields you need to see and apply it to the folder. You may not need a custom view, you may need to just reset the current view.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your correction.
    I can not save the view I configured for the Inbox (don't know how to do it, and neither View nor Tools>Options menus show a path to try), nor know how to apply it later to the other-issues folder(s).
    I don't know if it is my ignorance or, perhaps, that the version of O98 we have installed in our machines doesn't have it.
    I am contacting IT to find out and then try .
    Thanks again.

Daniel Rozenberg

Thanks

Display your Inbox (or other relevevant folder that contains the settings you want to save), choose View > Current View > Define Views.

With <Current view settings> highlighted, click the Copy... button.

Choose a name that makes sense for your use, such as Issue View.

Now open the folder to which you want to apply that view.

Choose View > Current View > Issue View.

Repeat as needed.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for your reply.
    Maybe I fail to grasp this, but maybe it's my fault I didn't specify better my need, and in that regard maybe I should apologize.
    I want to move the messages OUTSIDE of Outlook, that is, to the root of the HD, be it partition C: or D: , where I have another folder inside of which I want to store those messages.
    It seems to me that the procedure you mention propagates the view of one folder into others, but still inside Outlook; which is not what I want..
    Thanks anyway.
    Best regards,
    Daniel Rozenberg.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A long, windy road, eh? Unfortunately, the operating system has no way to do what you want.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I think Outlook 98 has the following capability: in the Outlook Inbox folder, open the message you wish to save to the hard drive. From message window menu select File, Save As. Select Text, OFT (template), RTF or MSG file, browse to where you want to save the files, OK out. The message will be saved as an individual file on your hard drive. (I thought there was a way to do this with multiple files, but Outlook 2000 doesn't want to cooperate this morning.)

Does this meet your objective?

(As written your original post didn't clarify that you wanted to use a File Folder, so readers assumed you meant an Outlook Folder.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

You probably would have to manually name the files with that information.

Windows XP can specially handle various file types with their own folder headings, particularly pictures. But its ability to do this depends on special code that extracts those properties from the file. Writing code to read the header of a mail message probably is WAY more work than you want to do. Sorry I don't have any better ideas.