Star Lounger
    Thanks

Update error message (XP-Pro)

My system wouldn't allow me to add/remove XP components suddenly and some other things were unstable to I took the plunge and re-installed. Now other items are ustable and Update gives the error that has been discussed on other threads (cannot display the requested page) so I can't redo sp-1a. Is there somewhere I can download it and install with Update?

Thanks for the help.

Wayne

Thanks

Re: Update error message (XP-Pro)

Wayne,

You can DL XPSP1 separately from SP1

or

just to Windows update and click on Windows Catalog on the left side of Update.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,

Thanks for the response. I finally had to go to another machine and download all 125MB of SP-1a, write to a CD and then install on the problem machine. This solved most of my problems but I still can't use the Windows Express Update ability. When I do I get a page that says "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page." I can turn off Zonealarm Pro, Norton AV and everything else and I still get the same error. I've noticed some others with the same problem (this and other "help" sites) and few if any have found a solution.

Does anyone else have any ideas??

Wayne

Thanks

Wayne,

Since WIn Update requires active x controls to be enabled, go to IE>tools>internet options>advanced & check the options to enable active x.
    You might also want to check the MSKB at Update

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Wayne--

There seems to be a current epidemic of this problem with Win Update, in the Lounge-- a couple similar posts in IE section right now and on other newsgroups. Here's what seems to work, but if I were you, I'd follow the links in the thread below and the directions to use the MS Security site and you can be done with Windows Update problems for good:

1) If you haven't got it already, update IE to IE6SP1 (I don't know your version).
    2) Delete Temporary Internet Files and Offline Content at Tools>Options.
    4) Start>My Computer>Program Files>C:Windows Update Folder (or whatever letter your OS is on you're using to access WUpdate). Set a Restore Point. Copy This Folder and then rename it to something like "Wayne's Temporary Windows Update Folder in Case or anything you want to call it, " but you probably won't need either.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

Please see Post 296493 and the one linked in it 295892.

These contain the Windows Update Trouble Shooter and a number of additional links to help with Win Update problems. But more importantly they contain directions with a Screen Shot of the three steps to take in using the Microsoft Security site, and if you use it according to the steps, you won't ever have to worry about using Windows Update again.

SMBP

Star Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

Sorry for the delay. I have been out of town for a while and am just now getting back to the problem. I did as you suggested and went to the Security site. All went well until I clicked download and I got an error 403 "you are not authorized to view this page". What could be causing that?

Nothing seems to have helped with the "update" page - it still won't work and I have worked through all of the troubleshooting tips.

Thanks for the help.

Wayne

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The security site will lead you to Win Update through it's links if you scroll down--so you have to make sure that you prevent that by going over to the right, and using the link for "more information." I screen shot an example on one update--not the one you're concerned with necessarily, to show what I mean.

SMBP